Equinox Battery Charging Recommendations And Warnings

This is an added document that arrived with my Equinox.  Extremely important.

Out of the 8 USB chargers in my house, none were UL certified.

Trip to Wal-Mart is in order.

Click for larger version....

minelab-equinox-battery-charging-recomme

• Like 1

Minelab never told me any of that and I have been plugging into any old USB gizmo and some low output ones at that. Never had any issues so I think they are covering their posteriors “just in case”. That said, no point in gambling with the new toys.

Update 6/18/2018 - There is a sheet inside the Equinox box which does warn about amperages, etc. Here is an updated image below (click for larger version) and the pdf version attached for download.

EQUINOX
Battery Charging Recommendations

Use a high quality charger for your high performance detector

1. High Quality 2A Chargers - Charge the EQUINOX battery with a USB charger that has a minimum capacity of 2A @ +5V (e.g. Apple™ or Samsung™). This will result in a full charge time of less than 4 hours.

2. Minelab USB Chargers - Charge the EQUINOX battery with a Minelab Accessory USB charger, that has a minimum capacity of 2A @ +5V. This will result in a full charge time of less than 4 hours.

3. Laptop Standard USB 2.0 Port - Charge the EQUINOX battery with a USB charger that has a maximum capacity of 0.5A @ +5V (e.g. a standard USB 2.0 port on a laptop). This will result in a full charge time of approximately 18 hours.

WARNING! DO NOT USE a mid-capacity USB charger. For example, using a reputable and certified USB charger (e.g. Apple™ or Samsung™), rated at1A @ +5V, the USB charger will typically engage its thermal protection safety function and automatically shut-down - the detector may NOT charge fully. A non-certified and sub-standard USB charger, rated at 1A @+5V may NOT have a safety function and could overheat and potentially fail completely.

It is important to ensure you use a reputable and certified USB charger when charging the EQUINOX battery. Some USB chargers have NOT been certified to the relevant safety standards (e.g. C-Tick, CE, EAC, UL/ETL) and therefore may NOT provide protection or their rated charging current (e.g. cheap devices sourced online).Look for the following symbols on the USB charger intended for charging the EQUINOX detector:

agency-logos.jpg

In no event shall Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd (Minelab) or any of its related entities be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential damages or loss, to property or life, whatsoever arising out of or connected with the charging of a Minelab EQUINOX unit with a charging accessory that does meet relevant CE, C-Tick, EAC, UL/ETL or other in-country compliance regulations, or is not of the quality and certified standard as described in this recommendation.

minelab-equinox-battery-charging-recommendations.jpg

battery warning.pdf

• Like 1

Posteriors, very funny...:laugh: