White’s TDI Sl Special Edition With Miner John Folded Mono Coil

Reg made a statement over on the TDI forum that Miner John had but don’t know if he still has it. He said he didn’t know why but the SPP ran smoother than the SL but didn’t know why.

Reg posted lots back then on the forum. This is when Cougar Jim had the forum and he gave me the power to delete the trash off it. The next owner that took it over was the one that started making the coils you see now. The trouble the owner now showed no interest in the forum and the trash took over. I haven’t been back in a long time so I don’t know if it’s going still.

This is where the Mine John coils started by the second owner of the forum.

Chuck

Had noticed the Reidman 18v battery packs for the TDI Pro on Ebay last weekend,and had been thinking along the lines and i stand to be corrected that the slightly higher voltage could be better suited for my larger coils that i use on my Pro.But then if i was too buy one we then i guess start hitting up against the shipping problems from the US to the UK and that is what originally caused the Pro to be stopped production.

As my TDI does work fine as it is and i also have a brand new backup stock battery then not all that worried at the moment,it was the more longer term issue of battery replacement that concerned me more than anything.But the stock Pro batteries do seem to last for many years.

I do run a RNB battery pack in my DFX and IDX Pro and that is a vast improvement over the stock rechargeable Whites batteries,not only lighter but last so much longer in the case of my IDX that goes on for ever it seems,but they always have been frugal on battery power anyway.

Taking the TDI Pro out this sunday onto a new permsission which although not high in minderal content is a very sandy ground,has all the hallmarks of a Saxon site,so taking the big fella and large coil on for the ride.

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

RickUK

Isn’t 18v getting a little too much for your detector?

Chuck

The 4-cell lithium pack maxes at about 16.8v. I've been running that pack in my SL for a couple of years with no problems. But, the capacitors in the SL power supply are rated at 16.0v, so running the fully-charged 4 cell pack is taking advantage of the safety factor built into those capacitors. One of Whites engineers mentioned in a post that as long as one stayed below 18V he was probably OK. I did a lot of testing of the voltage differences on depth and sensitivity, and there's a definite benefit, but it's mostly confined to the larger coils. In air tests my SL, with the 12" factory DF coil can detect a 1 grain bar at 3". It can detect a nickel at nearly 17". That's about a 20% improvement on the 12v battery pack.

Jim

• Like 2

Jim

I knew that 16.8 was ok but didn’t know it could go as high 18 V. I thank you for informing me of that, I was thinking you may see a puff of smoke coming out of your detector.

I’ll give it a try and run some test with it.

Thanks again!

Chuck

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Jim

I knew that 16.8 was ok but didn’t know it could go as high 18 V. I thank you for informing me of that, I was thinking you may see a puff of smoke coming out of your detector.

Thanks again!

Chuck

Once in a while you have to let the smoke out or it clogs things up.  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

Jim

Thanks again!

Chuck

LOl....I'm not going past 16.8v with mine...thank you very much. but, if you let the smoke out, you can refill it with this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Interlogix-Smoke-in-a-Can-Safe-Secure-Smoke-Detector-Testing-SM200-FS/272771573113?epid=1900573491&hash=item3f8273e579:g:AqQAAOSw6B5Zcj02

• Haha 1