White’s TDI Sl Special Edition With Miner John Folded Mono Coil

All this show and tell on a 14.8 v battery for the SL or SPP but what are you using for a charger? I’ll spend the money for the battery but I’d just wondering how everyone is charging it.

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Chuck 

17 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Not so, Luke. Here's a pic of my Reidman pack. No point on the bottom is higher than the perimeter edge, as seen.

Jim

P3050004.JPG

My intent was not to start an argument.  I was just stating what I viewed on EBAY right before I posted the message.  Maybe he changed the way he does it now and didn't update the photo?

3 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

All this show and tell on a 14.8 v battery for the SL or SPP but what are you using for a charger? I’ll spend the money for the battery but I’d just wondering how everyone is charging it.

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Chuck 

My pack is charged with a  'Smart Charger'.  Which requires, a smart charger and a little more knowledge of what you need to do.  The Reidman packs are charged with the charger he supplies, which is more similar to the charger supplied with the TDI Pro for it's Li-ion packs.  The main difference is that I didn't put a protection circuit board in my pack since I had the smart charger and I am knowledgeable.  Reidman put the protection board in his packs to allow the use to a more commonly available charger and to save him the headache of trying to educate people or hear complaints when they nuke their battery.  The batteries function the same as far as voltage and amperage, the charging method is the main difference.

Luke

3 hours ago, LukeJ said:

My intent was not to start an argument.  I was just stating what I viewed on EBAY right before I posted the message.  Maybe he changed the way he does it now and didn't update the photo?

I understand. I have no idea what changes he's made. I thought I bought one of his early units. I've had it 2 or 3 years. I use an adjustable-voltage charger on mine. I can set the final voltage to any level I choose. That saves pack life by limiting the voltage to 4.0V/cell. I can also use that charger on my RNB pack for the GMT, and DFX, at 12v. My adjustable-voltage charger has a wide input range, too...from 8.0 to 65v DC.

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On 2/15/2018 at 9:37 AM, RickUK said:

What is it like pinpointing wise with those long narrow coils ??? it is still right in the middle of the coil or is it harder pinointing with them.

I made my own big foot coil...pinpointing is easy at the front of the coil and i can get very good depth with the tdi using this coil

big scan grey 2.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Daversve59

I must say you done a great job! If I could do half as good I’d give it a try but that’s not my calling.haha

Thanks for the show and tell.

Chuck

thanks for your nice comment....im in the process of making another pro using a beach hunter ID housing...ive modified the battery box to hold 4 li-ion batteries...i like tdi detectors very much and think they are the best all round pulse detectors.

I am still playing with my TDI SL and having fun, Some where on the forum is my battery conversion that holds 9 AA Cells, Using 9 NiMh cells it puts out 12.6 Volts and using 9 Duracells it puts out 14.58 Volts, Using the 9 NiMh cells it was good for about 6 and a half hours, If you use an 8 cell pack using Energizer lithium batteries gives you about 14.48 Volts and will last for about a day and a half to 2 days. they are not cheap but the have the power.

John.

7 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

If you use an 8 cell pack using Energizer lithium batteries gives you about 14.48 Volts and will last for about a day and a half to 2 days. they are not cheap but the have the power.

Unfortunately the voltage on those drops from their starting value rather quickly.  They're still better than alkaline and NiMH, but as you can see from the plot below (I think the red curve is about right from your lifetime estimate of 1.5 - 2 days) it plateaus around 8x1.5V = 12V.

image.png.7b961b15cc2869ea97e0fe27319d71e7.pnghttp://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?368072-Test-Review-of-Energizer-Ultimate-Lithium-AA

is the website where I found (via Google images) the plot.