Multi Iq Spectrum Test

Wayfarer

5 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

There is a lot more going on with the Equinox than just a transmit frequency.  Internal program processing is as important as about anything else.  Signal manipulations through their proven Algorithms (program instructions).  I don't mean to jump to soon, but the 800 is proving to me, personally, it is superior to other machines I've had over the past 20 years. 

You are absolutely correct, Mark.  The magic is in the DSP processing algorithms where nowadays they can do just about anything.  The radio receiver I used for this test, the RF Space SDR-IQ (yes, the same IQ as with Multi-IQ, or Inphase and Quadrature) uses the same general technology to change the analog signal into digital.  Once it's digital, you can manipulate the signal in practically any way you choose to by software programming.  

The Equinox is really just a purpose-built radio transmitter that uses a Software Defined Radio (SDR) radio receiver.  Going SDR is really just the next step away from analog and toward more complete digitization and computer manipulation of the signal.  What's really exciting about the Equinox, is that since the software is where all the "Magic" happens, and the hardware is just an analog-digital converter, then the detector can be easily reprogrammed via USB as further refinements and advancements are made.  Minelab had to get the Equinox out the door in a reasonable amount of time, and so they had to cut their programming short at some point.  But now that the product is out the door and in the hands of actual users, reports from the field will come pouring in and tweaks can be made.  I would be very surprised if Minelab doesn't offer a firmware upgrade after 6 months or a year to address any issues that come up or just to make the detector even better.  And this can be done for years to come as the basic hardware isn't likely to become obsolete for many years.  Exciting times!

• Like 4

AI brought to a detector on chips.

Mitchel