Another Equinox VDI Chart...

steveg

strick -- with a 3030 and Deus, you are "set."  Like I've said before, I want the Equinox to be my "Deus," such that with a 3030 and an Equinox, I'm similarly well-equipped with high-end performance for virtually any type of detecting I might encounter/wish to do.  But yes, no rush for you, regarding the Equinox, given what's already in your "arsenal!"  A birthday in April (which should be after the "supply" issues currently ongoing) would be a good time to see where things stand, regarding whether you wish to try one out, or not!

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this silver-on-edge anomaly something that could be solved with a software update if in fact it turns out to be consistent?

Steve...... have you tried playing with the iron bias?   Did you try disc out those top two digits to see what happens?   The scary part....... unless we get a lot more doing testing on already found targets......you dont know what you are missing if you missed it.   Ive got a good bit of gold ill be testing.   Steve ...... is large silver the only coins doing that?

On 3/1/2018 at 6:50 PM, flakmagnet said:

Isn't this silver-on-edge anomaly something that could be solved with a software update if in fact it turns out to be consistent?

Well, I am not really seeing it in black and white. Factory reset. Park 1, all settings at default other than frequency scan. Hit horseshoe button so all results beep with tones. Silver dime through silver dollar all respond best when flat obviously. As coins are turned on edge there is minimal depth loss in air tests but target id gets more erratic and more off center. Depending on speed and angle of approach I can get almost any target id number with nearly all being non-ferrous but a few ferrous responses. I also get plenty of good hits. A person digging all non-ferrous would likely get them but might miss one. A person highly focused on a single target id number might very well miss them. I would not call the results of my quickie test stellar by any means but I can’t in good faith call it a true bug. It may be just the way the Equinox responds on these targets and if hunting silver on edge is a major concern for you then another machine might be a better choice. However be aware almost any machine will do this and it is a subject mentioned in many books and owner manuals. See the link below for an online discussion of the issue. It is not impossible a different coil alone would have different results or that future tuning tweaks could improve the situation. Knowing what I know such things generally involve a trade and so whether or not this changes I certainly would not want people to expect it. My current take is that it is what it is and if it is a huge turnoff, look at some other detector? But don’t be surprised if it does it also.

This is an area where I could make a video to show you whatever I want because it seems to be totally dependent on angle of approach. So you could make it pass a on edge coin test or fail it depending on what result you want people to see.

My limited test on a gold ring showed no such variation outside what I would expect so this appears to be mostly a high conductor issue? YetI know from past experience nugget detecting flat nuggets on edge can be missed easily for similar reasons. The reality is how you present a target to a detector coil does matter and I am not shocked at all by anything I am seeing. I am certainly however going to pass it on to Minelab but again, for now I would treat it as a case of here is what it does and decide for yourself if it is a big worry or not. I know I am hitting silver other machines are missing so where the net end result is I cannot say. Most silver I find is flat in the ground but as is often said you can’t know what is being missed. Still, I do believe that statistically in hard ground coins on edge are a small minority. On the beach or other soft surfaces and overturned soil, they would be more common.

At the end of the day there are people that know far more than I about how various detectors respond to silver coins on edge so I will leave the rest of this one to others more expert in the subject than I. I am guessing lots of machines worse at it and some better but I honestly don’t know. This is all air tests and I have never seen anyone do comprehensive in ground testing on such targets but maybe I just missed it.

Case closed for me personally but if others want to pursue this aspect there it is.

Coin on edge discussion on Friendly Forum

Coils Are More Complicated Than You Think

Minelab Equinox Owners Manual page 15:

minelab-equinox-depth-detection-factors.jpg

"Big silver ring on edge"

I was worried about this also so I brought this up on "Detector Comparisons" you tube channel. He said it will hit it but off to the side of the coil. If you just wave it in the center of the coil then it can appear that it does not see it. This is for engineers to explain...as long as the detector hears it when its somewhere under the coil then I'm good with it. 

strick 

Strick - from what you say - as well as various comments about pinpointing issues after taking out soil - I’m wondering if the “edge sensitivity”, “silver on edge” “disappearing target” notices are all part of a situation where the coil response to targets is  unconventional - different to what almost all other detectors do.

A bug - a feature? Time will tell.  

My learning starts Tuesday

• Like 1

The edge sensitivity/multiple signals on shallow targets issue is not an issue. My F75 hit three times on shallow targets and any good hot VLF running a DD will do the same. You can't get more sensitivity or depth and not have shallow items give a triple signal on shallow targets. This is another area where a concentric shines.

All About Coils

But triple hits on shallow targets with a DD? F75, F19, and nearly every Nok/Mak I have used does the same as will the Deus HF coils in particular. The Equinox does it also. Big surprise. For me with the other machines it was just a shallow target alert - raise coil or slow down and wiggle.

Disappearing targets are either ground balance related or small stuff that reoriented on excavation. Equinox will play the same games with you as a nugget detector chasing small signals in a pile of dirt.

None of this is brand new unusual never seen in any detector before stuff. I have seen similar issues with many detectors and a little Googling will confirm that.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I produced a video to illustrate the "ring on edge" issue I mentioned earlier in this thread.  Please forgive the quality -- I'm still learning how to do videos!  :)

Settings were Park 1, 16 sensitivity, recovery 3, iron bias 3, factory Park 1 disc. (+1 and below), 50 tones.

I SHOULD have tried running over the ring, at the end of the video, with no disc applied (horseshoe button), but forgot to.  Still, you can see the lack of response to the ring when on edge -- both lying on the ground, and buried about 3" deep.

youtu.be/-BMMDbF1DRw

Steve

• Thanks 1

I get the same results as you Steveg on most of my silver rings and bigger silver coins..  The only difference of doing the test with no discrimination applied like you said, is that you will hear the Iron grunts..  I have been meaning to go back and do some more testing on different modes but haven’t gotten around to it..

Bryan