Help Learning To Pinpoint With Equinox

Mike_P

I seem to be struggling with pinpointing.  If anyone has any pointers on pinpointing, I would be appreciative.

My previous detecting experience is with a 1980s Garret Master Hunter 5 with a concentric coil. Between that style coil and the ability to detune in all metal, it was very easy and accurate.  Now I am trying to learn the Equinox and I am having problems identifying the center lobe on a double D coil return.  When I enter the pinpointing mode and sweep side to side, I get inconsistent feedback from one angle vs the 90 degree offset.  I am digging allot in trying to learn the process and it seems I pick the wrong lobe about 50 percent of the time.

Any tips other than just keep digging?

• Like 1

Mike --

Couple things.  Think of the "center" of the DD coil as a "knife edge, running from forward :toe" of the coil, back through where the rod attaches, to the "heel" of the coil.  That whole "knife edge," narrow, from front to back, is the main "hot zone" of the coil.  So, when you hit a target, sweeping left-to-right in pinpoint and locating the strongest "sound," will let you locate the "axis" on which the target lies (let's call it a "north-south" axis).  But, within that narrow north-south axis, the target might be anywhere from the toe to the heel of the coil.  SO, next, turn the coil 90 degrees, and sweep from the opposite direction, running back and forth ALONG that north-south axis -- again, trying to find, based on listening for the strongest tone, where the target lies in THAT axis (let's call that an "east-west" axis).  Where those two axes cross, is where the target is.  It's different from a concentric coil, but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy, and accurate.

You can practice with a coin on the ground; watch what happens as you practice this pinpoint technique based on a target you can actually SEE.  THEN, you can take a large piece of paper or cardboard and cover the target, and try again.  A bit of practice like this, and you will have it down in no time.  

Other guys like to use the "wiggle back" method, but that works best in areas of "sparse" targets.  If you have many targets under the coil, or nearby, it's harder.  But the idea goes that you don't even have to switch into pinpoint mode.  As you sweep, and hit a target, sweep back and forth in small sweeps until that toe-to-heel axis is over the target.  Then, using short left-and-right wiggles of the coil, gradually pull the coil back toward you, at the same time you are doing the short "wiggle" sweeps of the coil.  As soon as the sound drops off sharply, the target is at the "toe" of your coil.

Hope this helps!

If not, I'll try making a video...

Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1