An acquaintance has asked if I'd help him find some shotguns he buried several years ago.  They are wrapped in oilcloths, sealed in PVC pipes (~3 in = 7.5 cm diameter) and buried about 20 inches (half meter) deep according to him.  He says he can show me the approximate location within about 10 m.  If all this is accurate it seems like an easy task....  Then again, he also said someone in his family (without him being present) tried to find them with a detector and couldn't.  That could be due to a lot of reasons as I'm sure you are already thinking, but my concern is that they may be buried more deeply than he remembers.

Which of the following would be your first choice?

1) TDI/SPP with 12 in round mono and 16 V battery pack.

2) X-Terra 705 w/15 in Coiltek 3kHz.

3) Gold Bug Pro (19 kHz) w/15 in Nel Attack.

4) F75 black (13 kHz) w/11x7 in^2 coil operating in cache process.

Assuming he has the time and patience I'm going to have all four with me to do a comparison, but I'd like to start with the one that gives me the best chance.  Your advice is appreciated.

use the biggest coil which would be the 705 and 15 inch coil...almost any detector should find iron at that depth...unless they are stainless steel...

You did not ask but I would do a grid of 2 feet apart and the at right angles two feet...also people often mis-remember so do a little extra....

fred

• Thanks 1