Equinox Headphone Jack

Dan(NM)

I found out the EQ has the same problem as the CTX when it comes to the headphone jack. If you plug a stereo cord into the Equinox, it will not kill the sound coming out of the machine. I used the cord that came with the headphones and I had bought a 1/8" to 1/4" cord to run my own headphones. Well, I'm here to tell you it looks like it needs to be a mono plug, damn it!!!  The WM08 uses a stereo plug, but not the EQ itself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter
25 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

I found out the EQ has the same problem as the CTX when it comes to the headphone jack. If you plug a stereo cord into the Equinox, it will not kill the sound coming out of the machine. I used the cord that came with the headphones and I had bought a 1/8" to 1/4" cord to run my own headphones. Well, I'm here to tell you it looks like it needs to be a mono plug, damn it!!!  The WM08 uses a stereo plug, but not the EQ itself.

I saw that today too, but the headphones I plugged in didn't work ( thought they were bad) but when plugged in external speaker kept working.

Plugged  in another pair of elcheapos I have and they worked good, external, speaker no sound.

I wired the headphones that came with the 800 to the WM8.  I didn't have a problem with the sound still being on that way.  I don't think I could use a wire directly to the control as I might get it wet.  I'll have to see if my adapter works on the WM8.

6 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I wired the headphones that came with the 800 to the WM8.  I didn't have a problem with the sound still being on that way.  I don't think I could use a wire directly to the control as I might get it wet.  I'll have to see if my adapter works on the WM8.

Adapter? for CTX WP headphones?  Can you clarify?  Thanks. 

I'm interested in your setup because I'm trying to figure out a way to hook up a pair of 3rd party WP phones to EQ when I finally get it so I can take it into some chest deep water with no horizon on when the ML EQ WP phones will be available.  (Please correct me if there is some new news on EQ accessories).

On Ebay, you can find stereo to mono adapter plugs. I have been in bands all my life, and have a home music studio. I have many such plugs.

20 minutes ago, NOXaholic said:

On Ebay, you can find stereo to mono adapter plugs. I have been in bands all my life, and have a home music studio. I have many such plugs.

The only problem with most of them, the shoulder is too large to properly seat the plug due to the type of jack Minelab is using. I have 4 on hand, none will fit inside the waterproof set up. So, it's going to take just the right type to work, same thing goes goes for the WM08. The bottom plug fits inside the jack, unfortunately it's a stereo and will not cut the sound to the speaker. works  fine on the WM08

plugw.jpg

wm08.jpg

• Like 1

Todd, nice.  Do you have a part number for the "Equinox" threaded mini-plug end (and pigtail)?   Is that an off-the-shelf item or did you make that yourself?  If I can get that threaded plug and pigtail, I can easily solder it to a pair of amphibian Grey Ghosts I have laying around that have the unfinished connector end.  Would be awesome.

In the mean time I have come up with a kludge for the WM08.  Since the WM08 is not submersible, what you CAN do is put it in one of those waterproof cell phone bags that have the mini-plug/jack pigtail inside the bag.  It comes out to a waterproof grommeted mini-jack on the side of the bag.  You can then plug in a cheap pair of waterproof or moisture proof athletic earbuds into the bag and voilia, a chepo WP headset setup using the WM08.  If the headset plug backsell is molded tightly to the mini-plug on the headset, you should have a setup that can handle more than a few waves or dunkings.  The only real drawback is that it will not work with the EQ control box submerged continuously as you will lose the RF signal between the control box and the WM08.  Pic with a Deus control module standing in for the WM08 below (yeah, still waiting for my Equinox to arrive).

20180218_092431 1.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

The only problem with most of them, the shoulder is too large to properly seat the plug due to the type of jack Minelab is using. I have 4 on hand, none will fit inside the waterproof set up. So, it's going to take just the right type to work, same thing goes goes for the WM08. The bottom plug fits inside the jack, unfortunately it's a stereo and will not cut the sound to the speaker. works  fine on the WM08

plugw.jpg

wm08.jpg

Yeah, for the mini to 1/4"  mono adaptor you need to find a pigtail type adapter that moves the jack "shoulder" away from where you make the connection into the WM08 or control box similar to the unavailable adapter accessory available from ML.

the part# for the strain relief is 3237 mouser electronics. the CTX female end is Part# T4110001081-000 from newark. I have not confirmed either of these are actually going to work as I still do not have my EQ but I have faith it will work. The 1/8 plug is just an extra I had laying that fit into the strain relief. Once I confirm it all works then I will seal up and fully assemble it. I already found a flaw in my design as the strain relief threads are not the same as the CTX M-12 connector maybe a re-threading will work to match it up.