Equinox Headphone Jack

Dan(NM)

This gold plated Radio Shack 1/8" mono adapter works great.  It properly silences the external speaker, and, conveniently, it fits nearly perfectly inside the metal ring without hardly any gap so the horizontal pulling stress is transferred to the inside of the metal ring rather than to the headphone jack itself.  

Until Minelab finally releases their adapter cable, this is an adequate solution for being able to use wired headphones.  I just want to be able to use my old Jolly Rogers as a backup to the Bluetooth setup and this ought to do fine.

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is where I lament Radio Shack going away.  Nice solution.  You can plug that into the WM08 too.  What you are showing is the pigtail type 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter I was talking about.  If you can find one with a mono straight in plug then you don't have to use the interim adapter plug, but the right angle puts less stress overall on the panel jack.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Adapter? for CTX WP headphones?  Can you clarify?  Thanks. 

I'm interested in your setup because I'm trying to figure out a way to hook up a pair of 3rd party WP phones to EQ when I finally get it so I can take it into some chest deep water with no horizon on when the ML EQ WP phones will be available.  (Please correct me if there is some new news on EQ accessories).

Chase,

The WM8 takes the small 1/8 pin.  The WM 10 and WM12 take the 1/4 pin.  If I use my 1/4 in headphones that did not come with the 800 or if I want to use JP's booster I have to use an adapter to make the 1/8 to 1/4.  

Those are a lot of additional devices and I think just using the bluetooth will be what I do with the 800 95% of the time.

Mitchel

13 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Chase,

The WM8 takes the small 1/8 pin.  The WM 10 and WM12 take the 1/4 pin.  If I use my 1/4 in headphones that did not come with the 800 or if I want to use JP's booster I have to use an adapter to make the 1/8 to 1/4.  

Those are a lot of additional devices and I think just using the bluetooth will be what I do with the 800 95% of the time.

Mitchel

Agree but if you are in the waves, the supplied BT headphones won't survive the dunk, that is why I am saying waterproof the the WM08 with a pouch and hardwired connector to a set of el cheapos that may survive at least a few dunkings.  See this as a possible kludge 

The best thing would be a watertight pigtail adapter that allows you connect the CTX WP cans directly to the EQ control box.  I see a few people working on some homebrews.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Agree but if you are in the waves, the supplied BT headphones won't survive the dunk, that is why I am saying waterproof the the WM08 with a pouch and hardwired connector to a set of el cheapos that may survive at least a few dunkings.

I've never wave detected because I need a wet suit that I don't have and I don't know how to trust 'water proof' on the 3030 battery compartment.  My wife dropped the SE Pro into some shallow water and it was just a matter of time before it ended its life.

I know some of the best stuff is in the surf but I wait for the storms to bring it to me.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Mitchel,

I have a "beach" that is accessible on the bay with no wave action and plan to use the EQ to get wet but can easily dunk or even be deep enough to keep the control box submerged.   On real beaches, I am dry/wet sanding it or waiting for a storm cut, too.  So yeah, BT works just fine there.  I also want to do some backwoods freshwater hunting also because that opens up some previously un-detectable (but wet) real estate for me.  Trying to figure out how to hit those two areas that necessitate something other than the BT solution with no word on the WP headphones for EQ from ML.  First things, first, however.  I need an Equinox to show up.  LOL.  Thanks for listening and good hunting with your new Equinox.

CG

P.S.  Since the BT headphones supplied are not even water resistant, having a "caught in the rain" solution is also a good backup plan that the WM08 facilitates unless I find some low latency water resistant BT headphones,

The good news is that the Equinox is designed to give you plenty of possible audio solutions for various detecting situations.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

The good news is that the Equinox is designed to give you plenty of possible audio solutions for various detecting situations.

Minelab was smart in making the Equinox compatible with a large number of Bluetooth low latency headphones. 

Here are my Avantree Audition Pro's, $59 with free shipping, that I got Friday.  40 ms aptx low latency that pairs up perfectly to the Equinox and really work great. I can't perceive any audio lag all.  Of course, they will run out of juice at the most inconvenient time, hence the search for a wired backup.

IMG_0585.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wayfarer said:

Minelab was smart in making the Equinox compatible with a large number of Bluetooth low latency headphones. 

Here are my Avantree Audition Pro's, $59 with free shipping, that I got Friday.  40 ms aptx low latency that pairs up perfectly to the Equinox and really work great. I can't perceive any audio lag all.  Of course, they will run out of juice at the most inconvenient time, hence the search for a wired backup.

IMG_0585.JPG

I have been eying those very phones to use with my GPX.  Why did you decide to go with those vs. the stock supplied pair?