Equinox Headphone Jack

Dan(NM)

52 minutes ago, Wayfarer said:

Minelab was smart in making the Equinox compatible with a large number of Bluetooth low latency headphones. 

Here are my Avantree Audition Pro's, $59 with free shipping, that I got Friday.  40 ms aptx low latency that pairs up perfectly to the Equinox and really work great. I can't perceive any audio lag all.  Of course, they will run out of juice at the most inconvenient time, hence the search for a wired backup.

IMG_0585.JPG

I see you have bagged up your control box to protect it from ??

Mitchel

"I have been eying those very phones to use with my GPX.  Why did you decide to go with those vs. the stock supplied pair?"

Good question :smile:.  I wanted to have a spare set of Bluetooth headphones regardless, and now I'm thinking I might as well use these and keep the Minelab's as a spare.  That way the original Minelabs stay new and all the wear and tear go on an easily replaceable (and probably cheaper) aftermarket pair.  And I've found all sorts of other cool uses for the headphones, like watching TV without disturbing the wife, listening to music on my iPhone, pairing with my PC, not that I'm going to regularly do all that, but it's kinda cool if I ever wanted to.  

11 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I see you have bagged up your control box to protect it from ??

Mitchel

Dirty fingers.  I always put a control pod cover on all my detectors to keep them looking new.  It's amazing how quickly the pod becomes grimy and worn with dirt and sand being rubbed into them all the time.  Since there are no control pod covers available yet, I fell back on my old standby, the Glad sandwich bag and a rubber band.  

It didn't take long for you guys to expose my OCD ... :laugh:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2018 at 11:39 AM, Wayfarer said:

This gold plated Radio Shack 1/8" mono adapter works great.  It properly silences the external speaker, and, conveniently, it fits nearly perfectly inside the metal ring without hardly any gap so the horizontal pulling stress is transferred to the inside of the metal ring rather than to the headphone jack itself.  

Until Minelab finally releases their adapter cable, this is an adequate solution for being able to use wired headphones.  I just want to be able to use my old Jolly Rogers as a backup to the Bluetooth setup and this ought to do fine.

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

Your photo shows a stereo adapter on the miniplug.   Is that shutting down your speaker with both sides of your headphones operational?     If that is the case, it must be a stereo to mono 1/4" plug and the channels are joined in the 1//4 inch female.(If I am understanding the needed wiring correctly.)

I'm working on building one of these with a waterproof connector on the NOX but have not gotten all the parts yet, mostly because of uncertainty about what will work.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, Wayfarer said:

Minelab was smart in making the Equinox compatible with a large number of Bluetooth low latency headphones. 

Here are my Avantree Audition Pro's, $59 with free shipping, that I got Friday.  40 ms aptx low latency that pairs up perfectly to the Equinox and really work great. I can't perceive any audio lag all.  Of course, they will run out of juice at the most inconvenient time, hence the search for a wired backup.

IMG_0585.JPG

Just received my Avantree Audition Pro's... can't wait to try them out!!  Thanks for the tip Wayfarer!  Tim.

19 hours ago, sodbuster said:

Your photo shows a stereo adapter on the miniplug.   Is that shutting down your speaker with both sides of your headphones operational?     If that is the case, it must be a stereo to mono 1/4" plug and the channels are joined in the 1//4 inch female.(If I am understanding the needed wiring correctly.)

I'm working on building one of these with a waterproof connector on the NOX but have not gotten all the parts yet, mostly because of uncertainty about what will work.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but it does shut down the external speaker.  The pigtail, I'm pretty sure, is stereo to stereo, the miniplug adapter is what changes it to mono.

Tim, those are really great headphones, light and comfortable, and can be used with all sorts of other bluetooth devices.  Just be sure when you connect them that they connect in aptx low latency mode as confirmed by the LED on the headphones.

• 11 months later...

Curious.......

Is using this type of jack on the circuit board shortsightedness on Minelabs part or,

in the part of the world where it is manufactured, the headphone jack specification is different from the TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) standard spec we have in the west, or

is it the typical proprietary BS game that so many are playing these days?

Would it be possible to modify the 800s jack wiring or connection to the circuit board for it to work with standard TRS to shut off the on board speaker and have stereo in your wired headphones?

It is something ML has been doing since CTX to enable the speaker cutout circuit to work.  Plenty of ML or third party adapters exist to enable standard wired metal detecting headphones to be used with the Equinox.  Not going back to wired though unless I have to work in the water or heavy rain.  The BT phones work well.  See my response to your other post for pinout information and links to other relevant posts.  HTH.

• Like 1