MX Sport Coils ?

FWest

I have recently acquired a used MX sport.Looking for coil recommendations. I mostly detect fields, wooded areas and cellar holes during the short North East USA season. The beach (ocean) is the only option during the winter so I do make it out a couple times a month. 

The coils I see for sale are 7" DD, 9.5" Cons, 6x10 DD, 12x10 DD, 13 ultimate DD and the 15x12 DD

Thanks, FWest

FWest

I too have a Sport and the stock coil,9.5 cons, 7” DD plus the 6x10 . I use the 7” about all the time.

But White’s is going to have a 6” coil soon to for the Sport. I do believe it will be a cons coil. I like the 9.5” cons coil for a more open field hunting.

Chuck

• Like 1

Thanks Chuck, so you prefer the 9.5 over the stock 10 DD ?  Weight , depth or separation ? 

Just curious as I have not tried a concentric on this unit but did notice better performance with a DD on another detector although it was a larger diameter. 10 vs 13"

FWest

I find I get more depth with a mono or concentric coil. I like to hunt first with a small coil something like a 6 or 7 “ coil. I’m sure if you been detecting long you know you get too much trash under a big coil. I’m not saying I don’t like or use  a DD coil. When it’s high mineralized it has to be a DD. That 7” coil I’m using now is a DD but that’s all I could get at the time.

I’m waiting in the wing for Tom at White’s to let me know when I can order that 6” coil. I told him to write my name on the bathroom wall and he did posting a picture here.

Chuck

• Like 1

I use the MX Sports brother, the new MX-7.  Same basic circuitry but in a land-based package and not submersible.  I really enjoy both of my MX-7's and I keep a different search coil on each unit at-the-ready to grab and hunt.  Also since I got mine a couple of months back it makes it easy to do some side-by-side comparisons of the two smaller coils using matching settings on these units.

I am with Chuck regarding the 950 Concentric coil.  I really wish White's would have used their open-frame 9" Concentric as it balances well and would have worked much better if wading or going deeper in the water.  But the 950 Concentric coil provides the typical benefits we see with most Concentric coil designs over a comparable-size Double-D coil:

• Better depth of detection

• More accurate visual VDI response on opposing sweeps

• More consistent/close audio Tone ID responses from side-to-side sweeps

• Easier and more accurate Pinpointing for most people

I also will usually use the same approach as Chuck by first hunting most areas that are typically trashier using a smaller size search coil, then after removing some of the shallower masking trash I can re-hunt the area with a later coil such as the 950 Concentric.

I am using the Detech 7" DD made for White's and it is a good coil.  I am also using the 6½" Concentric  coil ... measured diameter but White's will likely call it a 6" coil as they used to ...  and of the two I prefer the 6½" Concentric for most of my trash site needs.  The 7" DD does okay, but the 6½" Con. does a wee bit better in my opinion.  Right now it is too cold ... and too white this morning :sad:...  to water hunt but the 7" DD will be my go-to coil for wading when I am Beach Hunting due to the open-frame design that won't float.

None of the other coils currently offered interest me in any way for my typical hunting needs and that is being able to confront very densely littered sites that abound in ferrous debris.  The 7" DD is OK to go with, or hold out for the 6½" Concentric coil's release this spring ... which should be soon.

Monte

• Like 2