It's going in for repair Tuesday but I thought I'd see if anyone else ever experienced this problem....

A couple years ago something happened and  I had to use headphones to hear my GB2.  About 6 months ago something happened again and  I could only get audio without headphones.  A week ago I could get both!

I thought everything was fine.

Then yesterday, after using it for about 3 hours with headphones, it faded out.  I could just barely hear it.  Nothing at all if I unplugged the headphones.

Turn it off and then on again, ok for about 10-15 seconds and fades out.  New batteries didn't help.

Detector was functioning properly except for audio......

Sure hope it comes back better than ever as it is a "super hot" detector.  Runs circles around the other three we have.  It's a 5 digit serial number 90's style.  Maybe that has something to do with it being so sensitive ? 

Just random variance in components all adding up favorably. You are probably aware Harry that a GB2 is individually tuned to the coil that comes with it, and accessory coils may not have that extra edge. I have gotten a new coil for a GB2 in the past and shipped the whole thing to Fisher just to get them matched as best as is possible.

• Thanks 1

I was not aware of that Steve...... never sent anything to be repaired before.  Just ordered parts and put them in myself.

So, if tuned to a small coil, it may not be tuned for the larger coil?

Got no idea on that one! It may be more complicated than that.

But yes, being specially tuned to one coil may make the machine slightly off with another coil. We are talking finest edge performance stuff here. You may want to contact Fisher directly for the latest scoops. Of maybe Carl will notice this and chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my GB2 is on its way back to me.   They could find nothing wrong after looking at it.  Did a field test too.

Suggested that if it goes bad again to video it and send it back.

There was no charge for checking it out which was nice of them.

I'll put it to use as soon as I get it back.

I had another in there at the same time and there was something wrong with that that they fixed.

Thank Fisher Repair Center!