My Eyes And Ears Have Seen The Glory Steve Has Seen!

mn90403

12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I got my 800 from Bill on Thursday.  It could have been Tuesday but that is another story.  I charged it up and went out to my favorite beaches late in the afternoon.  I put on my gear and headed for the wet area I normally hunt.  I was using the WM8 with a wire to the supplied headphones.  So ... where was the 'bang?'  Where was the 'blow my socks off' sort of performance?  It was muffled, hard to hear ... disappointing.  What was I missing.

12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

When I added the headphones then I was blown away.  I had to turn the volume way down from my first day at the beach.  Why?  Well, in that session I had used the WM8 as I used the 10 and 12 before.  Plug in the headphones and detect.  I've added the JP booster recently and that helps (I didn't use it with the 800 as not necessary) but I forgot a KEY step.  I'm embarrassed to say I used the headphones the first session without turning them on.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

A ruling on what? Nobody at any point in time has ever said or implied that audio only comes through the speaker and not the headphones. Of course the headphones work. You have to turn them on however! :smile:

Mitchel or Steve,

Please bear with me.  I know I ask a lot of annoying questions, but it comes with the territory as an engineer (precision and all that).  I try to self-answer by looking up in the manual and still manage to miss key points and tricky phrases especially in regards to the numerous audio options which is great but also adds some complexity especially with not one but two wireless options.  So I am a little confused (hey I said I was precise, not smart) by the scenario and just trying to sort out some details above.  Not trying to dissect an embarrassing moment we have all encountered (be honest out there, folks) but trying to learn some details about how the audio works.

Anyway, my question is this:  Do the headphones NEED to be powered on when you have them hard wired to the WM08 module OR to the detector itself?  I thought using the supplied wireless headphones in wired mode was an alternative you could use in the event the headphone batteries died in the field and you could use the headphones passively.  Before I get the "why would you think that response", that is how my wireless deteknix headphones work and many BT headphones when used in hard-wired mode.  If you need to turn them on to hear the audio properly, then does the passive thing not work well or is this just an issue when you are using them wired with the WM08 module because it doesn't have a volume control that allows you to boost the audio (does detector audio volume work adjustment work through the WM08?).  Just trying to figure out if the supplied BT headphones have a usable passive wired mode when connected to the WM08 or directly to the Equinox.  If not, then I will keep a spare set of wired headphones with me as a backup.  I'm sure this is all very obvious when you have the unit in your hands, but I never miss the chance to let everyone know, I'm still waiting...lol.  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Do the headphones NEED to be powered on when you have them hard wired to the WM08 module OR to the detector itself?  I thought using the supplied wireless headphones in wired mode was an alternative you could use in the event the headphone batteries died in the field and you could use the headphones passively.

When using any headphone connected to a detector by the cord or cable the power is supplied by the detector. If the wiresless headphones go dead, be sure to have the included cable along, plug them in, and get on with business. The headphones carry a charge far longer than the detector itself however so if you charge them together this is unlikely. Still, the cable goes with me in my kit.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Steve.  I was just wondering why Mitchel was not getting good audio when he was using them in hard wired (passive) mode with the WM08 until he turned the phones on.  Perhaps in wired mode the phones amplify the wired sound when they are turned on enhancing the sound quality vs. passive mode.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I'll figure out all those minor details out when EQ gets here.  Like I've said previously, it's great to have a kajillion audio options available.  I am working on a WM08-in-a-bag wired headphone solution as a WP headphone alternative until the official EQ waterproof headphones show up, so that's patially the basis for my question.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, midalake said:

If the audio only comes through the speaker and NOT the headphones........the detector will be worthless to me. So is there a ruling on this? 

Dave

Dave,

The sound was coming through the headphones on the first use.  I just had to turn up the machine volume to the limit.  If you use a 3030 or 7000 with a WM10 or WM12 you don't have to turn on any headphones.  As it turns out the headphones that come with the 800 will work without turning them on ... they are better when you do turn them on.  haha

Mitchel

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Mitchel or Steve,

Please bear with me.  I know I ask a lot of annoying questions, but it comes with the territory as an engineer (precision and all that).  I try to self-answer by looking up in the manual and still manage to miss key points and tricky phrases especially in regards to the numerous audio options which is great but also adds some complexity especially with not one but two wireless options.  So I am a little confused (hey I said I was precise, not smart) by the scenario and just trying to sort out some details above.  Not trying to dissect an embarrassing moment we have all encountered (be honest out there, folks) but trying to learn some details about how the audio works.

Anyway, my question is this:  Do the headphones NEED to be powered on when you have them hard wired to the WM08 module OR to the detector itself?  I thought using the supplied wireless headphones in wired mode was an alternative you could use in the event the headphone batteries died in the field and you could use the headphones passively.  Before I get the "why would you think that response", that is how my wireless deteknix headphones work and many BT headphones when used in hard-wired mode.  If you need to turn them on to hear the audio properly, then does the passive thing not work well or is this just an issue when you are using them wired with the WM08 module because it doesn't have a volume control that allows you to boost the audio (does detector audio volume work adjustment work through the WM08?).  Just trying to figure out if the supplied BT headphones have a usable passive wired mode when connected to the WM08 or directly to the Equinox.  If not, then I will keep a spare set of wired headphones with me as a backup.  I'm sure this is all very obvious when you have the unit in your hands, but I never miss the chance to let everyone know, I'm still waiting...lol.  Thanks.

Chase,

I was answering questions at the other end of the thread before I read this question of yours.

Your assumption was mine also about being hardwired.  My first use I thought (or didn't think) that once wired then I was connected.  I was muffled so I need to use the WM8 next time and turn on the headphones.  As it turns out the 800 looks for the WM8 first then goes to bluetooth.

I was just on the beach for about 3 hours and I used the bluetooth only.  I don't know what the WM8 sounds like with the headphones turned on.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Mitchel - thanks.  That's what I am talking about with the myriad of audio options.  Convenience for just about any situation, but it can get a little confusing with the Equinox seeking out the various wireless receivers, especially when those headphones can be used in either wired or wireless configuration.  Ok.  I got us down in the weeds now, so I'll save figuring out how all the audio combos work (and how well they work) for when I get my machine.  I'll post back with a rundown that may help demystify some of the more arcane setups (e.g., how well the supplied BT phones work passively depending on whether they are wired to the detector or the WM08).  If you do get around to hooking the headphones back up to the WM08, would like to know how it works out.

LOL - BTW going Waaay back to the beginning, was that a gold ring you placed next to the gold nugget or some other ring metal?  Thanks.

Chase,

It is a silver ring.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1