Hats Off To Minelab

By my actual observations and hunting trips Minelab has not only met but surpassed what 1st Texas was hoping for.

The Equinox does it all and more.

From June 2015 http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1006-fisher-czx-metal-detector-ground-breaking-technology/:

“The following information is from an apparent leak from a First Texas distributor meeting? The link is posted at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/555-new-fisher-pulse-induction-multi-frequency-detectors/?p=10571 as part of the thread about upcoming Fisher products that have been circulating for a couple years. These leaks seem to jive with previous statements by Tom Mallory of First Texas.

The main one of interest to the people on this forum would be a new CZX model aimed at gold prospecting. Here is the text from the posted screen shot:

CZX - Fisher and Teknetics

• This machine is ground breaking technology
  • Turn on and go
  • 2 frequency - 9:1 ratio
  • No need to ground balance or adjust the detector to the environment
  • It automatically senses the ground and makes changes accordingly.
  • First detector birthed from this platform is a gold unit priced around $1000, but deeper than current VLF, this detector will also see through red dirt, and highly mineralized soil.
  • From this platform other machines will develop. We intend to develop the CZX and MOSCA platforms to offer more machines in the $1000 to $2000 range than have ever been available.
  • Target release 2016
  • We have senior engineer Dave Johnson on this project

The "Mosca" platform referred to is further described and apparently is aimed more at being a general purpose non-prospecting detector (coins, jewelry, relics). Again, here is the text from the posted screen shot:

"Mosca" Fisher and Teknetics

• Waterproof up to 10' (3 meters)
  • Wireless headphones - Waterproof loop and connectors for headphones
  • 2 frequency - 7:1 ratio
  • Hobby/Treasure Market - Great for Saltwater, Relic, Coin
  • Auto Ground Tracking
  • Single Pod Design
  • LCD Pad, control buttons, 2 AA batteries
  • Arm Pad in rear
  • Retail target - $1200 - $2000
  • Target release 2016
  • We have dedicated engineers on this project

OK, so a gold unit around $1000 that goes deeper than current VLF designs. I also have high hopes that knowing the proclivities of the engineer, Dave Johnson, that it will be relatively light and ergonomic. Dave also prefers simple and the design statements reflect that.

We seriously need something that brings gold detector weights and prices back to earth and so hopefully this will be it. I have stated over and over again I would be very happy with ATX equivalent performance in a less expensive lightweight package. Garrett so far seems disinclined to make that unit but they have a year at least before it may be a moot point. The CZX would have to obsolete the White's TDI as it is aimed squarely at or below the same price point and unless it beats TDI performance would be dead on arrival.

We will not have long to wait - 2016 is coming fast!”

• Like 1

I think the jury may still be out regarding performance in highly mineralized soil (we'll soon find out), but from what I have seen so far, it should perform just about as well if not better than any other non-PI machine out there (I hesitate to refer to the Equinox as VLF machine because even though technically it is, I think there is a big difference between single frequency and multifrequency VLF machines) and under some circumstances (thick iron infested areas) it could be one of your few machines of choice as that situation usually takes the PI out of the equation [again, I am talking about a highly mineralized site].

But, yeah, First Texas...ouch.  (and I love my F75)

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I think the jury may still be out regarding performance in highly mineralized soil (we'll soon find out), but from what I have seen so far, it should perform just about as well if not better than any other non-PI machine out there (I hesitate to refer to the Equinox as VLF machine because even though technically it is, I think there is a big difference between single frequency and multifrequency VLF machines) and under some circumstances (thick iron infested areas) it could be one of your few machines of choice as that situation usually takes the PI out of the equation [again, I am talking about a highly mineralized site].

But, yeah, First Texas...ouch.  (and I love my F75)

Please note my judgement on the Equinox is based on the red/orange clay where I live.  In my area a target past 5-6 always gives an iron signal.  Case in point, yesterday I spent several hours hunting the same kind of dirt.  These sites have completely dried up several years ago but I started finding coins at depths of 5-8".  Not only did the Equinox give a solid audio, but the target ID was accurate.  I'm still awe struck.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Please note my judgement on the Equinox is based on the red/orange clay where I live.  In my area a target past 5-6 always gives an iron signal.  Case in point, yesterday I spent several hours hunting the same kind of dirt.  These sites have completely dried up several years ago but I started finding coins at depths of 5-8".  Not only did the Equinox give a solid audio, but the target ID was accurate.  I'm still awe struck.

That's great news Mark.  Can't wait to see for myself in March when I punish it (or it punishes me, depending on your perspective) in Culpeper.  And looking forward to your detailed observations once you feel you have really shaken it down.

56 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

My experience exactly in my western magnetite laden soil. I never can speak for conditions I am not experiencing personally except to guess however and I have been as curious as anyone to hear results in the red eastern soils. Sounding pretty good so far Mark - thanks!

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

You aren't helping my attempts at being patient here Mark... haha. 

That is great!  I'm glad the Equinox is opening up old ground for you.  Crossing my fingers for some similar experiences in my PNW ground.  Tim.