Is Park 2 The Magic Mode??

Mountain Mike

Interesting discussion here.  I never really thought of "Park 2" as possibly being hotter, and thus -- where targets are sparse -- potentially deeper.  I have been hunting exclusively with the 'Nox in Park 1 mode, at a park I know like the back of my hand.  I've pretty well cleaned this park out (i.e. the good targets that were left, that weren't already cleaned out by all the multitudes of detectorists before me) in the last several years.  There's one area in particular in this park where a partner and I hit a hot spot, about 5 years ago, where we dug several dozen old coins generally in the 7" to 9" deep range.  We hit so many good targets here, that we beat it to death with various machines, coil combinations, etc. -- and I've continued to re-check this area for the past couple of years, even though it has stopped giving up deep coins (I did manage one on-edge wheat at 8" deep next to a nail, with the CTX this past November, right after I got it, but that's the only deep/old coin this spot has yielded in well over a year if not two years).  ANYWAY -- I ran through there with the Equinox in Park 1 mode, low reactivity (like 1, I think) and high sensitivity, seeing if I might not eek one more out.  I didn't, but I'm thinking that having a go at it in Park 2, high sensitivity, low reacitivity, might be a neat thing to try.  Targets are really sparse here, in this little "hot spot" area, since we cleaned it out so thoroughly...which might be ideal for Park 2 mode, per Tim's thoughts, above...

Steve

• Like 2

Steveg,

The hotter modes might not necessarily be deeper on high conductive targets, but you never know.  What you might get is a hit on a missed shallower, edge-on, high conductive coin which looks like a small item to a hot, high frequency biased program (i.e., gold mode, and the two non-beach "2" modes).  It is always good to throw as many different machines and modes you have at a hot spot like the one you described above.  So yeah, hit it again with Park 2 and possibly even Gold and Field 2 to see what might pop up.  That's one of the great things with the EQ, by switching up modes it is like hitting the site with 4 or 5 different detectors.

• Like 2

Excellent! That's the video and results that I've been wanting to see. As a ghost town/ old home site hunter,  that hunt gets me excited. I'm more concerned with separation and unmasking than depth. Great video!

Dean

Steve you said "Park 2 and Field 2 are “hotter” on small items and low conductors. "  so if I get this right are P2 and F2 multi biased toward higher frequency thus being more sensitive to mid conductors and P1 and F1 biased toward lower frequency thus being more sensitive to high conductor targets? 

7 hours ago, steveg said:

Interesting discussion here.  I never really thought of "Park 2" as possibly being hotter, and thus -- where targets are sparse -- potentially deeper.  I have been hunting exclusively with the 'Nox in Park 1 mode, at a park I know like the back of my hand.  I've pretty well cleaned this park out (i.e. the good targets that were left, that weren't already cleaned out by all the multitudes of detectorists before me) in the last several years.  There's one area in particular in this park where a partner and I hit a hot spot, about 5 years ago, where we dug several dozen old coins generally in the 7" to 9" deep range.  We hit so many good targets here, that we beat it to death with various machines, coil combinations, etc. -- and I've continued to re-check this area for the past couple of years, even though it has stopped giving up deep coins (I did manage one on-edge wheat at 8" deep next to a nail, with the CTX this past November, right after I got it, but that's the only deep/old coin this spot has yielded in well over a year if not two years).  ANYWAY -- I ran through there with the Equinox in Park 1 mode, low reactivity (like 1, I think) and high sensitivity, seeing if I might not eek one more out.  I didn't, but I'm thinking that having a go at it in Park 2, high sensitivity, low reacitivity, might be a neat thing to try.  Targets are really sparse here, in this little "hot spot" area, since we cleaned it out so thoroughly...which might be ideal for Park 2 mode, per Tim's thoughts, above...

Steve

Steve... I am VERY interested to hear your findings on this test.  I think there are a lot of Easter Eggs hidden in the Equinox... this may be one of them.  I have a park exactly as you outlined above... old, pounded hard over the years, found a 'hot spot' where I pulled several oldies... and has now become silent... when I get my E800, that is one of the first places I will go once I get familiar with it, and test out P1 and P2 - and Gold as well since it is the hottest of hot :).    -Tim.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martygene said:

Steve you said "Park 2 and Field 2 are “hotter” on small items and low conductors. "  so if I get this right are P2 and F2 multi biased toward higher frequency thus being more sensitive to mid conductors and P1 and F1 biased toward lower frequency thus being more sensitive to high conductor targets? 

Correct.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Steve... I am VERY interested to hear your findings on this test.  I think there are a lot of Easter Eggs hidden in the Equinox... this may be one of them.  I have a park exactly as you outlined above... old, pounded hard over the years, found a 'hot spot' where I pulled several oldies... and has now become silent... when I get my E800, that is one of the first places I will go once I get familiar with it, and test out P1 and P2 - and Gold as well since it is the hottest of hot :).    -Tim.

Tim,

I'll be sure to do it next time I am out with it.  But, don't let my results dissuade/discourage you.  You can't possibly believe how hard this little section of this park has been hammered by myself, and my partner, with a half-dozen different machines and COUNTLESS different coil combinations.  And by hammered, I mean digging EVERY tone that could one could POSSIBLY conjure in their mind to have possibly come from a good target.  Chirp, squeak, blip...you name it.  And I mean dozens and dozens of times even SINCE the spot essentially "dried up."  I was SURE the 17" coil attached to the CTX would be the key to nabbing one or two more (especially after the 11" on the CTX did pull that 8" wheatie on edge).  But -- NADA, in two outings, from the CTX/17...

I am here to tell you, with CERTAINTY -- if the Equinox pulls ONE SINGLE KEEPER from this small area, it will be nothing short of miraculous!

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steveg said:

Tim,

I'll be sure to do it next time I am out with it.  But, don't let my results dissuade/discourage you.  You can't possibly believe how hard this little section of this park has been hammered by myself, and my partner, with a half-dozen different machines and COUNTLESS different coil combinations.  And by hammered, I mean digging EVERY tone that could one could POSSIBLY conjure in their mind to have possibly come from a good target.  Chirp, squeak, blip...you name it.  And I mean dozens and dozens of times even SINCE the spot essentially "dried up."  I was SURE the 17" coil attached to the CTX would be the key to nabbing one or two more (especially after the 11" on the CTX did pull that 8" wheatie on edge).  But -- NADA, in two outings, from the CTX/17...

I am here to tell you, with CERTAINTY -- if the Equinox pulls ONE SINGLE KEEPER from this small area, it will be nothing short of miraculous!

Steve

Thanks for the disclaimer Steve.  I won't let the results of the Equinox in your pummeled park lower my opinion of the Equinox if nothing is found... but if you do find something.... WOW!  :)  Good Luck on finding a squeaker or two.  Tim.