Need Advice With Ground Balancing...

canslawhero

Took my 800 to a local (big city) park just to try it out (our ground is frozen solid here).

very nice ergos, settings easy to use, etc...but I simply couldn't find a  'clean' spot to ground balance!

'Hot' detectors have this as a side effect I guess....I lowered the sense but to no avail.

I didn't feel comfortable just turning on auto tracking so I decided to just bump the GB up manually from the default 0 to 6.

I'm pretty bothered by this so I'm looking for suggestions, advice....

Also I would be curious to see what other users are seeing for a GB # relative to their understanding of their areas mineralization level.

I've got to hunt three old home sites and was not able to find a clean spot within 50' of the home.   So decided to reset the park1 program and hunt as is and found it did very well.  It's amazing just how much iron can be at an old home site.  I will add one thing, my other machine (which I won't mention the name) chatters a lot at these site, but will not give a solid audio like the Equinox.  

hey Mark, so the default of GB 0 still got you decent depth....

once my ground thaws I'll just have to experiment a bit and first off just see what kind of depth I get on 

decent coin size targets with the default settings. I'll also try 'auto tracking' in the mix to see how that works, wish I knew more about it, ie how much bandwidth is it taking up and can these noisy ground conditions drive the 'auto tracking' batty and just not allow it to function properly. time will tell.

I bet the defaults for GB are well thought out and we will find out by trial and error in our own soil types if something works better than the default. I always ran GB tracking on my xterra 705. I suspect I'll do the same much of the time when I get my nox

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canslawhero said:

once my ground thaws I'll just have to experiment a bit and first off just see what kind of depth I get on 

decent coin size targets with the default settings. I'll also try 'auto tracking' in the mix to see how that works, wish I knew more about it, ie how much bandwidth is it taking up and can these noisy ground conditions drive the 'auto tracking' batty and just not allow it to function properly. time will tell.

Default GB 0 does in fact give good depth.  In my test garden it can detect my 8" nickel and 7" rivet.  Now I must admit the audio is not as loud as when ground balancing is done, but to me it is sufficient when I can't get a solid GB.  Hope this helps. 

I did try something new this evening using the park 1 choice.  I did a manual GB then I switched to tracking.  I made a note of the GB # and a few minutes later I checked the ground balance and it had in fact changed a couple numbers, so the function seems to be working correctly.  Tip: After ground balancing and invoking auto track, just push the settings button and that will show you the actual BG # being tracked at that moment.  Real neat how that works.:biggrin:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canslawhero said:

I dug a 9" silver dime  and a 9" wheat with manual GB at 0 in my soil in NM. I think it works just fine :cool:

• Like 4

Very good Dan, nice to hear others seeing similar results.

When in doubt use the stock settings. That is what they are for. Will it be perfect? Well, no... but oh well. I guess you could dig all the targets out of a two foot square then ground balance.

People that have a Deus do just fine with the factory preset ground balance and many never fuss with it. Lots of lower end detectors are preset with no adjustment at all. We all obsess over getting absolute best performance, but for most coin size targets in parks if you can’t find clean ground to balance over you probably have more problems than ground balance. Like masking. Equinox of course will help you there also. That is the simple answer to why CTX owners are going to find that depth is not everything.

• Like 1