Equinox Gold Prospecting Yuma Az

Condor

12 hours ago, MarXthespot said:

Do you think coilmakers like Coiltek will eventually fill this rather large niche (when lots of Equinox are out there) for small elliptical "gold" coils if Minelab doesn't?  Or even if Minelab does make such "gold" coils?

Or, has Minelab precluded that through smartcoil tech, i.e. they would have to licence it for coilmakers to be able to get the control unit to play nice with the coil?

It all boils down to popularity. The more popular Equinox is, the more units there are out there to create a market for accessory coils - that is the secret to future coils. Minelab in general does not want third parties to produce poor coils that would create performance issues that people would attribute to the detector itself. I do not blame them for wanting to control that. I on the other hand think accessory coil selection is a very important key to any detector’s overall success, so I have been lobbying Minelab not only to allow other companies to make accessory coils, but to help them do it.

My guess is it will happen but like everything Equinox holding your breath is not advisable. Right now we need the get the 6” coil out. Then the 12” x 15” coil. More will no doubt follow in time and I do expect a 6” x 10” eventually from Minelab or a third party. And many more also. But it will take time and I am not talking weeks or months but years.

Anyone who was around might use the X-Terra build out as a guiding light because the situation is similar. As much respect as I have for Coiltek however I hope more companies are allowed to participate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From my viewpoint and I suspect a lot of MD users viewpoint, the SDs, GPs, GPXs gained a lot of purchasers because after-market coils were available, eg. it appears the 4500 has had a lot of sales on the back of the "new age" coils since they closed the performance gap somewhat with the Z, sales I suspect not just brought about by the price drop. Be good to see that with the EQ and of course the GPZ or any detector, I am particularly keen on NFs SDC coil being a goer.

Also of course as Steve points out, a manufacturer cannot let these aftermarket accessories deter users from purchasing their product.

• Like 2