Cabelas Has Equinox In Stock Sold Out

Thegoldenone

1 hour ago, Thegoldenone said:

But this taught me a valuable lesson! This was the first and last time I'll pre-ordered anything!

My issue is the protocol of the pre-order.  When I pre-order something (and I have pre-ordered a fair amount of items in the past... and will continue to do so - no matter how bungled this specific product release has been), I do so with certain expectations based on past experiences, and an understanding of business ethics.  In my mind, the purpose of a pre-order is to allow the retailer/dealer enough advanced notice and ability (and in some cases the funding which is why I don't criticize the dealers that also requested pre-pay for the pre-order) to order and receive enough stock to cover the demand on the release date.  It is also my expectation that when I pre-order a product, that I am going to receive my order on the day it is released.  And my item will be sitting at my retailer or will be shipped to me with my name on it, on the day it is released.  That is the assumption that I (and I think all of us) have on the pre-order process.

I know the old adage about "assume", but it isn't total speculation, it is multiple experiences that drive the expectations. 

As a former retailer, and a business that accepted pre-orders on many anticipated releases... I also built my expectations from experience with my manufacturer's/distributors on my ability to ensure the pre-order I accepted could and would be delivered to my customer on the release date.  I believe this release blind sided the dealers as much as the customers.  We all (customers and dealers) had previous experiences that led us to believe the release was a full release... especially with little or no communication from the manufacturer about their intent. 

And do not mistake my comments... while this product release probably set records in anticipation and pre-orders for any metal detector in history... it is also the poorest product release I have ever witnessed personally.  I can only hope that valuable lessons were learned by the decision makers to a)work diligently to rectify the current issue and b)ensure this doesn't happen again.  At the end of the day, business is about customer service and how well a business can provide excellent customer service.  There is plenty of room to run here.

So... long winded response to the quoted comment by TGO above... but my short response is: I won't refrain from pre-ordering again.  But I now have a new set of experiences that have altered my expected results from the pre-order process. 

6 months from now, when all the pre-orders are filled, and every small dealer and big box store has Equinox E800's and E600's on the shelf readily available for anyone else who wants to walk in and buy one... and we are all out hunting and enjoying this amazing hobby/sport (and by all accounts this amazing machine).. this past several months of anticipation, disappointment and ultimate relief will be mostly replaced by just a general bad taste in the back of our mouth... until the next NEW NEXT BEST THING is released. 

~Tim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that's that. Here's the latest email from Cabela's. I guess if you ordered after 5:20 a.m. EST on February 20th and are getting yours count yourself lucky!

Thank you for your order for Equinox Metal Detector.  The vendor has advised us that the item is currently out of stock and has been backordered.  They are expecting to ship approximately 3/30.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused & thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Rachel O.

Cabela’s Dropship

9 minutes ago, GKman said:

Well that's that. Here's the latest email from Cabela's. I guess if you ordered after 5:20 a.m. EST on February 20th and are getting yours count yourself lucky!

Thank you for your order for Equinox Metal Detector.  The vendor has advised us that the item is currently out of stock and has been backordered.  They are expecting to ship approximately 3/30.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused & thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Rachel O.

Cabela’s Dropship

Isn't that great!! Placed my order at 8:52am on the 20th.

3 hours ago, GKman said:

Well that's that. Here's the latest email from Cabela's. I guess if you ordered after 5:20 a.m. on February 20th and are getting yours count yourself lucky!

Sincerely,

Rachel O.

Cabela’s Dropship

Could it be just remotely possible that MineLab started paying attention to all the negative feedback on social media sometime during the Tuesday run and turned off the Cabela's tap early?  Maybe they decided to, I dunno, actually fill a few 5-month old prepaid orders instead of letting Cabela's make a few thousand more new ones?  It's a long shot, I know. 

Nah, somebody at Cabela's probably  wasn't paying attention and didn't pull the plug on the website quick enough.

3 minutes ago, Mountain Mike said:

wait! what! when did you get that?

1:30... I can hear that trumpet wail in the background that the joke is on me.. glad I hadn't cancelled my order with my other dealer.

Screenshot_2018-02-23-13-53-24-1.png

1 hour ago, Thegoldenone said:

I'm with all you guys I ordered mine in the beginning of October I think it was like the third. When I found out Cabelas was selling them without a waiting list I was super pissed off and bummed out at the same time. I didn't have the cash in my account to jump on the first bandwagon, then I was reading all the speculation about when the second shipment was coming... I ran to bank and deposited money into it. So then I was ready to jump when Cabelas came back online and I did... and like I said to everybody that ordered from Cabelas have patience it will be coming, some of the guys in the first batch got there tracking number the day before they receive their equinoxes.... 

But this taught me a valuable lesson! This was the first and last time I'll pre-ordered anything! And the only reason I did in the first place was because I just knew this machine was going to be awesome! And it looks like from what I see it's very true!

#Me too! First I pre-ordered from a dealer on 2 Sep. Waited, waited, waited. Then I traded in a GPX detector and moved my EQ-800 pre-order to my preferred dealer on 20 December. Now I'm told it will be March, so when Cabelas second shipment became available, I jumped on one thanks to Thegoldenone.

It shipped today with FREE shipping/no military discount and will be here Tuesday!:biggrin::sad:

Bill

I just got the same email from Cabelas drop ship. Glad I did not cancel my back order from Dec. 1st.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked