Multi-IQ Frequency Weighting Differences Between Park & Field Modes

Cabin Fever

12 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Thanks everyone.. This site is such a great asset..  I posed the question on Tom’s site and received a surprising tip.. He said Beach 2 is the best mode for deep silver coins.. This is soil dependent so you will have to test it out in your area.  I guess it has the lowest grouping of frequencies.. 

Bryan

That is consistent with Steve's quick and dirty rackout of hottest (most sensitve to mid conductors and small targets) to least hot (deepest on high conductors) that I referenced in the "Is Park 2 the Magic Mode???" thread.  Or another way to look at it highest to lowest frequency bias.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

On 2/21/2018 at 12:02 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Interesting as I just made a similar but slightly different observation here. Like everything the ground calls the shots but I have observed the strength of Beach mode on silver myself.

Detectors don't know silver from dirt but they do know metal response which they translate to numbers on a screen. So.......any high conductor should be found deeper with Beach 2, right? I ask what may be a dumb question because sometimes what seems an obvious answer.......ain't.

Beach 2 might help on silver in some ground but I will stick with Park and Field modes for coin hunting personally. Beach 2 if anything is dialed back to deal with saltwater conditions so I sure don't see it as some kind of magic bullet silver hunting setting.

For a deep understanding of how Equinox programs work: Not only about Weighing at certain frequencies, there is Tx power transmity frequency, and on the coil side is the amount of amplification of the signal -RX gain .... For example, the program of Beach2 is discarded by Tx transmit in contrast to other programs. For better understanding by program park1, park2, field1, field2.gold1, gold2 I recommend to do ground test - at individual frequencies of 20 and 40 kHz ..- see the relative strength of the sensitivity of each program..but the beach programs work only on multi frequency ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 8:55 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

This illustrates part of the issue. This new video compares modes on a nickel and dime and a quick look would seem to confirm that there is a difference in the Park and Field modes. However, those differences can be attributed to the setup as much as any possible underlying difference in the processing.

The vast majority of the videos I see are by people who still really don’t understand the detector fully (I am not referring to this one specifically). As I have tried to point out it is imperative that each mode is individually ground balanced. Yet if anyone is doing that in their comparative videos they are not saying so. There are numerous fine differences in Detect Speed and Iron Bias that are not being accounted for. The blocking or modification of target id 1 and 2 alone can change the results of nail board tests. I could make a full time job of pointing out issues with videos but I do not have the time, and as much as I would be trying to be helpful I would be seen as another unappreciative critic, so I am not going there.

Anyway, this video shows results with default settings. To truly try and see if the Park and Field modes are equivalent the settings in both modes would have to be identical.

One thing I learned from all this is that target id 1 and 2 are not only blocked by default in Field 2 but have had the tone modified to sound as ferrous. So in Park 2 you just have to unblock them to find tiny gold. In Field 2 you have to unblock them and be sure the tone is set back to non-ferrous. I have been accidently sidestepping that issue by always going to 2 tones when prospecting (the default in Field 2 is a modified 50 tone). That all being the case it may be easier for me to use Park 2 as my alternative prospecting mode to eliminate a step in setup, assuming they might be the same otherwise.

Yes, I also have things to learn still :smile:. Equinox can be deceptively simple but as you really dig into the settings it is rather more complex than one imagines initially.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:02 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Interesting as I just made a similar but slightly different observation here. Like everything the ground calls the shots but I have observed the strength of Beach mode on silver myself.

Good point about the Ground Balancing, Steve.  It's a basic fact that different fq's apprehend the ground differently and separate targets from it differently.  Any cross comparisions would be skewed.   I'll say it--kind of like the "caps" thing--too may hackers laying out the half baked as fact. cjc

• Like 1