Auto Ground Balance Numbers

Dan(NM)

I went out this morning and did a auto GB in a couple of places in my yard, one read 5, the other 6. Does anyone have bad dirt that they have GB'd in?  I'd like to know what kind of numbers, really mild and some harsh soil reads come in at. 

There is only a weak correlation between ground balance numbers and the intensity of the mineralization as measured by Fe304 meters.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1599-gb-numbers-mineralization/

Also note each mode must be ground balanced separately and modes will not always display the same ground balance number when set in the very same spot. Beach modes in particular produce radically different GB numbers than the other modes.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5305-important-tip-global-vs-local-settings/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Also note each mode must be ground balanced separately and modes will not always display the same ground balance number when set in the very same spot. Beach modes in particular produce radically different GB numbers than the other modes.

Hey Steve I keep seeing you repeat that you have to ground balance each mode if that's true then having a personalized mode set up can you just switch over and use it quickly, or do you have to ground balance it first?

So I guess what I'm saying is if you have a deep coin and you want to check it with your other program in order to get the depth you need, would you have to reground balance?

8 minutes ago, Thegoldenone said:

Hey Steve I keep seeing you repeat that you have to ground balance each mode if that's true then having a personalized mode set up can you just switch over and use it quickly, or do you have to ground balance it first?

So I guess what I'm saying is if you have a deep coin and you want to check it with your other program in order to get the depth you need, would you have to reground balance?

Yes. Treat each mode as a different detector. If you were carrying two detector’s around, you would have to make sure both are properly ground balanced. This is unique to Equinox as far as I know and why I keep mentioning it. It genuinely is as if you have multiple detectors in one package.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jackpine said:

So even if you switch from park 1 to park 2?

Yes. Good thing you asked. What I should have said was treat every Search Profile as a separate metal detector. Each retains completely different ground balance settings. The only quick and dirty way to cheat the system would be to have all Search Profiles set to tracking.

For people in milder ground or less variable ground this is less an issue. My ground can vary wildly in short distances and this is very critical in such locations.

• Like 2

So when I get mine I'll post the GB numbers at a couple sites around here that read 2 bar and low 80's on the Fisher Tek machines which is a low reading magnetite ground.

Most ground balance numbers for Park and Field Modes I have seen so far are single digits. The worst place I ever ran was extremely intense but the ground balance was topping out around 25. As noted before however a GB number is more a reflection of the type of mineralization than its intensity.

• Like 1