Has Anyone Tried Non Minelab Bluetooth Earphones Yet Apt-x

NSC

I received the Trond TD-BH01's today and was able to make a direct side-by-side comparison with the Avantree Audition Pro's.

They are both very similar in size, function and sound quality.  The Tronds do have a bass boost feature but you can turn it off and then they sound no different from the Audition Pro's.  The Tronds also have a hard gloss black shell that looks like it will be more durable and better resist dirt and hard outdoor use.  

The Audition Pro's are lighter and more comfortable.  They have a deeper ear cup that, for me anyway, means my ears aren't mashed against the inside foam.  Both ear cushions have a big enough circumference to go around the ear comfortably, it's just that the Audition Pro's are deeper.

But the big difference and deciding factor for me, is that the Trond's headband doesn't adjust enough to accommodate my head.  I have a normal sized head, but the Trond headband doesn't lower the earcups enough even when fully extended.  I can barely have them fit completely over the ears, but then the headband is pulling down tightly on the top of my head and is very uncomfortable within minutes.

So there it is, I will keep the Audition Pro's simply for the main reason that the Tronds don't fit my head.  If they adjusted just a little bit bigger so I could pull the earcups down just a little further, they'd be the ones I would pick because they do seem a bit more durable and better suited to detecting use.  But alas, they just don't fit.  The Audtion Pro's are totally comfortable for me and the ones I'm keeping.

Bottom line, if you don't have a medium to small noggin, I'd recommend the Tronds.  But if you are medium to any larger, then I'd say you'll have to go with the Audtion Pro's.  Buy both and see which which works and return the ones you don't like. 

It's just nice to be able to choose from a large number of aftermarket headphones.  

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Also putting a plug in for the Miccus SR-71s as a great pair of BT APTX LL phones that someone previously reported as possibly being clones of the ML Equinox BT phones.  I am using them as part of a wireless setup with my GPX detector (using a companion $20 BT APTX LL transmitter that plugs into the GPX headphone jack).  They work and sound great with no noticeable lag and are multipoint which means like the ML phones can be simultaneously paired with another BT device such as your phone so you can take calls.  Haven't told the boss about that feature yet, though, so I still have some peace and quiet out in the field for the time being.  Lol.  Also, I got them "Used - Like New" for a very significant discount through Amz warehouse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGKNYOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Cliff, I was all set to keep the Tronds, until I realized they didn't fit.  If you have a way of trying them on first, then I'd still give them a try.  The fit was the only reason I didn't like them, otherwise they would have been great.

Chase, thanks for the heads up on the Miccus SR-71's.  They sure do look like the exact clones of the Minelab headphones without the logo (and likely the price).  The Minelab headphones fit very well with plenty of adjustment and don't have the small size problem that the Tronds have.  Good suggestion too about trying one of those little bluetooth transmitters that will plug into any detector's headphone jack and make a poor man's wireless setup.  I did just that very thing this week for using my new Audition Pros with my old MXT and it works great.  Those little transmitters can be had for under $30 bucks and can turn anything with an audio output jack into a bluetooth capable device.  Just make sure that it is actually making the connection in aptx-low latency mode, since it can be tricky to pair in LL and sometimes pairs in SBC mode.  The Avantree's and Tronds have an LED that shows if it's indeed in LL mode, but unfortunately the Minelabs do not.  The latency is so obvious, that all you have to do to check if wave a target back and forth in front of the coil, and you can tell right away if there is a huge lag, then it isn't paired in LL mode.

I just added some photos of the bluetooth transmitter setup on my MXT, attached with velcro.  As a bonus, the Minelab Equinox headphones work great with this setup and can now be used with any of my detectors.

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wayfarer said:

Cliff, I was all set to keep the Tronds, until I realized they didn't fit.  If you have a way of trying them on first, then I'd still give them a try.  The fit was the only reason I didn't like them, otherwise they would have been great.

Chase, thanks for the heads up on the Miccus SR-71's.  They sure do look like the exact clones of the Minelab headphones without the logo (and likely the price).  The Minelab headphones fit very well with plenty of adjustment and don't have the small size problem that the Tronds have.  Good suggestion too about trying one of those little bluetooth transmitters that will plug into any detector's headphone jack and make a poor man's wireless setup.  I did just that very thing this week for using my new Audition Pros with my old MXT and it works great.  Those little transmitters can be had for under $30 bucks and can turn anything with an audio output jack into a bluetooth capable device.  

Thanks.  The key was making sure that it was an APTX LL transmitter to get full benefit of the minimal lag.  Really recommend the "used like new" amazon option as the savings is significant and you still have the peace of mind of the return policy.

• Like 1

Tried my apple air pods but I am useless at this stuff . Can't even pair my headphones again as they don't even seem to turn on so have had to plug in ? Atleast I can still use the Nox 

No problem, Thanks for trying Judy.

The first time I tried pairing it didnt work for me either I had to go back to instruction manual and re-read it, now I get it.

I have not got Equinox yet but I have carried on with the equipment, I found these dodocool DA104 apt-x standard low-latency bluetooth waterproof  headphones that go very well, at least with PC and smartphone and my car, low cost  compared to the features that have , about 23 $,  can connect two bluetooth devices at the same time, like Equinox and a smartphone, I can not wait to try them on Equinox.

fa4rd0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Re. Apt-X Earbuds (not Low latency)

Mystery is solved for me...

I got the use of a cheap pair and I cannot notice any lag. (as a couple of people have stated)

Normal Apt-X will do me and it will save me about $100 

happy hunting:biggrin: