Jonathan Porter Talks Equinox And Gold Nuggets

Dan(NM)

10 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I know I have frustrated you with my bump falsing "issue" with the GM & harping on about

Just a little :smile:

Actually I feel for your detector. I communicate with detectors better than people - detectors do talk to me. I listen to what they are telling me and act accordingly. Since Minelab never got back to you the first thing your detector is trying to tell you is maybe the coil is bad. Assuming that is not the case it is screaming at you to be turned down. Is there such a thing as detector abuse? :laugh:

What was puzzling me the most was that the GB2 is famous for its ability to resist coil knocking, which as I have explained is because it is mostly getting the small gold hots by natively working at 71 kHz. Gold Monster is using 45 kHz and then getting there with very high gain and boosted audio. This magnifies ALL signals including hardware generated issues. All things being equal if chasing the tiny bits really was the goal, it just makes more sense to me based on what you were describing to use the Gold Bug 2. Now I understand and agree about more depth on larger gold. And basically you are a balls to the wall bloke!

To be perfectly honest however other than my curiosity none of this is aimed at you specificallly. The Gold Monster was designed for novices and when you post about running in the red zone I think you are perhaps leaving a certain impression on others. I am trying in my way to make sure that novices reading these threads understand what a gain/sensitivity control is all about and why this “flaw” from my perspective is a benefit. I hate dumbed down detector’s, and if anyone wants to blame anyone for the Gold Monster being too hot, then just blame me. It would have been a crime to lock the top end of the sensitivity control at 6 or 7 just to make it safe for the masses. Performance Matters!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kiwijw said:

One question on the coils. The GB2 being a concentric & epoxy filled & the GM a DD. Are there any reasons why one may be better than the other in general detecting and, dear I say it....bump falsing

Concentrics are easier to make, generate more straight forward/less complex signals due to the simpler winding arrangement, and are generally better at ferrous/non-ferrous identification of flat steel, like bottle caps.

I have to admit I do hope Equinox is a huge success for the self serving reason that it makes more accessory coil variety more likely.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Concentrics are easier to make, generate more straight forward/less complex signals due to the simpler winding arrangement, and are generally better at ferrous/non-ferrous identification of flat steel, like bottle caps.

I have to admit I do hope Equinox is a huge success for the self serving reason that it makes more accessory coil variety more likely.

Steve - I wonder if the coil drive circuitry and signal processing algorithms have to be reworked for a concentric coil?  Wonder if ML could answer (or would be willing to answer) that question?  Though I am thinning the herd significantly post-Equinox I am going to keep at least one detector that has a concentric accessory coil.  That is one of the reasons I chose to keep the F75 over the T2.  Different detectors that outwardly look like clones of each other but inwardly very different circuits and a different user interface.  The T2, however, cannot accommodate concentric coils.

• Like 1