A Few Of The Many Field Coins I've Dug

Beautiful old silvers George.  I can only dream of finding a reale or bust coin up here.1859 is my oldest half but not quite the condition of yours.

I'm very fortunate to hunt in colonial Virginia. Reales were legal tender into the 1850's. You will get one .

3 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

Some weekend Inspiration.

Which weekend? :biggrin:  Many of us are still in winter (or early Spring).  Near me they're predicting over 2 inches of rain for Saturday alone.  (Sunday looks decent but I don't know if the ground will have recovered -- I'll for sure give it a try.)  I think part of the reason many here are suffering the Equinox Angst Virus is because it's piled on top of cabin fever!  (Just kidding around..., well, kinda...)

Back to your beautiful finds.  I sure hope that gouge on the 1849-O half wasn't caused by a recovery tool.  It's still a great looking coin but that damage pains me.  It looks like About Uncirculated (AU) condition otherwise.  I've yet to even find a clad half let alone a seated beauty like yours.  (All that's gonna change with the Eqx!)  Thanks for your inspiring post.

• Like 1

Beautiful coins George!!  Thank you for sharing!  That seated half is incredible!!  Tim.

7 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I've yet to even find a clad half let alone a seated beauty like yours. 

Agreed GBA!  I have only found one half (clad Kennedy mid-70's).  It is my most elusive coin denomination by far!  I have even found more Canadian Toonies lol. 

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Which weekend? :biggrin:  Many of us are still in winter (or early Spring).  Near me they're predicting over 2 inches of rain for Saturday alone.  (Sunday looks decent but I don't know if the ground will have recovered -- I'll for sure give it a try.)  I think part of the reason many here are suffering the Equinox Angst Virus is because it's piled on top of cabin fever!  (Just kidding around..., well, kinda...)

Back to your beautiful finds.  I sure hope that gouge on the 1849-O half wasn't caused by a recovery tool.  It's still a great looking coin but that damage pains me.  It looks like About Uncirculated (AU) condition otherwise.  I've yet to even find a clad half let alone a seated beauty like yours.  (All that's gonna change with the Eqx!)  Thanks for your inspiring post.

I think a trained eye will see old patina inside the scratch. Not guilty. Case dismissed .:smile:

• Like 3

On 2/23/2018 at 11:50 AM, George Kinsey said:

I'm very fortunate to hunt in colonial Virginia. Reales were legal tender into the 1850's. You will get one .

Amazing finds George. I am in awe that those kinds of finds can be made in the U.S. as it is more what I associate with the U.K. hunters. Growing up and living in Anchorage, Alaska my whole life really put limits on my coin detecting. Coinage was rare in early Alaska, it was a barter based society. Anchorage was founded in 1915 and most of the town is far newer, with old old core mostly paved and built over. Suffice it to say a 1930s coin was a really old find for me, with only the rarest 1920’s coins. Never did find anything 18xx in Anchorage.

Anyway, great pics, thank you very much for sharing them!