A Few Of The Many Field Coins I've Dug

Those coins get in the way of the Relics I'm after. Life is tough here in Virginia.:biggrin: There are gold mines within 5 miles of my home. I found a large piece of Quartz with a lot of gold in a civil war camp in Maryland. You can pan small specs in some streams. Thanks for the mention.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 7:46 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Amazing finds George. I am in awe that those kinds of finds can be made in the U.S. as it is more what I associate with the U.K. hunters. Growing up and living in Anchorage, Alaska my whole life really put limits on my coin detecting. Coinage was rare in early Alaska, it was a barter based society. Anchorage was founded in 1915 and most of the town is far newer, with old old core mostly paved and built over. Suffice it to say a 1930s coin was a really old find for me, with only the rarest 1920’s coins. Never did find anything 18xx in Anchorage.

Anyway, great pics, thank you very much for sharing them!

Your welcome Steve. Shock and Awe on the way.:biggrin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I found a coin today almost the same as your coin George, it looks like a newer revision of the same coin.  Did you find out much about the coin? is it of any value? Internet searches say its of value but based on condition and mine has a bit of damage on it, a bit of edge damage you'll see in the photo

IMG_8502.thumb.JPG.c7f1320d0a7c710706eb744bdb11c23b.JPGIMG_8501.thumb.JPG.d69cc406ebd4db6e0a09d32c6c09c67c.JPG

Looks like a spade ?

That's a George the Third Spade Guinea Token.

Sorry to hear it wasn't gold, Simon.  Still, it is a cool find, and we all learned an interesting lesson from it.

AND, I still envy your happy hunting grounds!  I'm sure there's still plenty of good finds out there.

They do not have to be gold. I feel it is good.

On 2/27/2018 at 6:11 PM, phrunt said:

I read about the tokens that looked like the coin but the tokens have different writing on them

Thats the writing on the token

great_britain_george_iii_token_1790.jpg

This is the writing on the genuine coin

great_britain_guinea_1791.jpg

Here is hoping mines the real coin.

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=5243

One of my best coins has been a George111 full gold guinea that i found about 3 years back,it was down about 4'' in stiff barley stubble,most folks had been using stock coil but of course you loose depth as the stubble wont allow you close contact with the ground,i snagged mine with my T2 and the 5'' coil on as that can get in between the stubble rows.......a spade guinea is still a very nice find and not all that common here either in the UK either.