My First Impressions And Relic Hunting Potential

Mtwolf2270

I know these are what many of us don't consider relics this is more of my first impressions of the  Equinox as many of  you are waiting on one or considering one  my hunting buddy  and I gave the nox 800s a run in two tough homesites that were heavy iron. I mean carpet of iron with iron audio on ( horse shoe button) sounded like a machine gun  When we get our video clips together I will post a video of the hunt. We pulled lots of coins and some modern relics from thick iron. I ran field 1 and 2 5 tone iron audio on as well. The find that truly impressed me was the small cuff size flat button it was a soild tone a 10 vdi both ways it was 9- 10" inches with nails and iron in and around the hole. I stuck the pinpointer in the hole to measure it the black cap was just below soil line. Now it's important to note the scale as most of you know is from -9 to 0 iron and 0 to 40 non ferrous. This button IDs 10 or 11 out of the ground Here in our soil finding relics and coins over 6 to 8" is not common unless it's milder soil or large targets with vlfs or even FBS . We have moderate mineralized soil and often hunt heavy iron homesites both combined present challanges to the ctx and the at pro even with iron audio on.  My hope was the nox would perform well in our soil. If so it would work better in Culpeper, VA (where I go a few times a year for civil war relics) then the ctx or at pro where soil can be nasty as many of you know.  However, my go-to machine there is the gpx 4800 but in heavy iron or trashy fields the gpx just doesn't work well being PI.   I am very impressed with nox so far and I know we have barely scratched the surface of how to unlock it's full potential.  In our soil here the nox performed in the type of site the ctx would struggle in. What I found different about the nox was its power, recovery, separation  and accurate id in tough conditions. That's a big deal in mineralized soil folks must non pluse I'd anything  over a few inches as iron. Now the only thing I changed was tones to 5 instead of 50 in field 2, sensitivity and recovery in fact everything else was stock.   I already feel this machine is different and has excellent relic potential especially in mineralized ground.  For me when I don't need a gpx or in areas it can't do what I need the nox will be my first out. 

FB_IMG_1519396667390.jpg

20180221_200148.jpg

20180223_140310.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice hunt and great report.  More confirmation on the ability of the Equinox to handle these kinds of tough conditions.

Thanks for the post.

Tom

Thanks for the report.   I may have missed it, but what search mode/settings were you using? I'm very curious to see how it runs in the gold prospecting mode for relic hunting, I'm thinking it might be killer in mineralized nasty soil with nails and iron. 

HH,

Brian

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thanks for the report.   I may have missed it, but what search mode/settings were you using? I'm very curious to see how it runs in the gold prospecting mode for relic hunting, I'm thinking it might be killer in mineralized nasty soil with nails and iron. 

HH,

Brian

I ran field 1 and 2 mostly field 2. I think the gold mode where the audio is set to tone while over a target like pinpoint it is not geared for alot of targets. We have moderate soil not like Culpeper but hot enough that ctx and at pro, t2 all of which I used often struggle or id is off much past 6 or 8 inches or IDs as iron. In field 2 normal sensitivity only thing I did was change 2 5 tone it handle the site and soil perfectly. 

4 hours ago, stumpr said:

Great report! Will be interested in your thoughts after DIV. I pick up my Nox at pre-hunt meeting. 

I am with Just Go Detcting have been to several divs tho. I will let ya know how it does in April when we are up there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the excellent report. It continues to give those of us who are still waiting, another reason to stay positive in a situation where some are giving up. I know the wait sucks, I have tried every way to get my hands on one. The fact remains, the Nox is  worth  waiting for.

• Like 2