Pinpointing Wiggle Back Style

NSC

Hi,

I have only been out 3 times with the 800 but I am struggling a little with pinpointing.

On all my machines with a DD coil on,  I have only ever used the "wiggle back"" method

In Multi Freq. I am finding this is not so accurate anymore - the drop off point is less defined I think. 

I have been slowly learning to use the pinpoint button but I dont think it is super accurate either. 

Sometimes I switch back to a single freq. to pinpoint and the wiggle back seems to work better for me.

Has anyone else had issues or is it just me ?

Happy hunting:smile:

Mine appears to be extremely accurate.. I never did like the wiggle back method and only use it occasionally when I get a couple targets close together that I’m having trouble isolating with a big coil.  The pinpoint is directly below the center bolt.. Maybe turn your sensitivity way down and practice pinpointing coins on top of the ground until you get it down. I usually pinpoint from two directions to keep holes small.. It will also help expose nails that are falsing in one direction..  Ratcheting down with the pinpoint button can help too..  The Equinox seems to do this on its own if you sweep the coil back and forth over the target a few times while in pinpoint mode.  The Equinox seems to have a very powerful pinpoint and that might be throwing you off a bit..  Hope this helps..

Bryan

• Like 1

When we do a practice pinpointing on top of the ground it is directly under the centre bolt but on the beach it is under the EQU sticker . So maybe goes off a bit if the coil isn't straight . There goes the tiny dig holes

The nox uses an auto pinpointing like the Xterra series.  Other models and detectors use sizing. With machine hovering over the area and looking I. And move forward and backward till you lock on. So far I found it to be spot on directly under the bolt . 

Thanks people.:smile:

Yes I have done practice and testing

I still need to practise more using the pinpoint button as I never used it with XTerra, Etrac or CTX.

I cant say I prefer it :unsure: though. IMHO it seems like a lot of mucking around versus the wiggle back is so simple and quick.

My testing shows that the wiggle back in Multi is about 1" off - but in a single frequency is spot on.

I guess I am fussy but I do not dig holes in 9/10 parks, I only use a slender probe and long nose pliers - pp accuracy saves a lot of time.

I will keep trying, thanks for the input and encouragement :biggrin:

• Thanks 1