Overall Observations Of The Equinox

I agree with the above comments Wayfarer, I very much enjoyed reading your report. It is coherent and understandable, and you've addressed the questions that came to my mind.

More importantly, I would imagine that even rank newcomers to the hobby would find it an informative pleasure to read. Thanks so much for this excellent effort to share your findings with us.

Jim.

• Like 3

Well done - lots of folks do thoughtful testing....

Way more impressive - Well Written!

To thoughtfully assess the performance of a detector is hard enough - to describe and categorize it in clear English - WOW.

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wayfarer, I really enjoyed reading your review. I`ve had mine for two weeks now and think you were spot on with what I can relate to about the Equinox. I don`t have a knowledge base to compare it to other machines. But, when I read your evaluation I thought he`s right about that and another he`s right about that too. I know two people don`t make a consensus but it made me feel good to hear someone with the same thoughts I was thinking. For me the Equinox will be my #1. I`ve really enjoyed using it!!   

• Like 2

Great review Wayfarer.  A lot of us knew Equinox is likely going to be a great, if not the best, overall jack of all trades detector out there for the money (perhaps period).  But you know what they say about jacks of all trades, many are masters of none.  While I know that is not the case for the Equinox, and there has been a lot of discussion and consensus from the time Steve was pretesting it until now regarding what it IS a master of and just what it's strengths are.  Specifically, related to what fast, simultaneous multi-frequency brings to the table.  But more importantly, it is good to also hear what it DOES NOT excel at.  No real surprises (deep silver TID - pretty much knew that was coming) but the other minor quirks regarding the depth meter, audio modulation, triple beeps, and balance are great tidbits of information and I thank you for pointing them out.   I also liked your initial spectral analysis which was eye opening.  Further scratching the surface regarding the nuanced differences between the 800 and 600 in performance in a presentation modeled after yours above would be great and would be helpful for people agonizing about which model to get.  Good job.

• Like 3

Thanks for this very good and impressive report Wayfarer, makes it easier for me to make a decision to buy the Equinox or not, it's good I did not jump in during the hype and feeding frenzy buying of the Nox. I am going to wait till Minelab comes out with the smaller coil or the closed 5" x 10" coil, since I I want the unit for nugget hunting!

Will be waiting for your next report with the 6 inch coil, and maybe it will change my mind! Looking forward to see how the NOx does with smaller coil on gold nuggets. Hope Minelab comes out quickly with a closed 5" x 10" inch coil, would jump in right away, and buy the NOx!

The best-written customer report I've read sofar. Between your writing and "Dirtfishing's (and others of course), videos, we are getting huge benefits from the kinds of experience it takes years to accumulate. Many thanks.