Overall Observations Of The Equinox

3 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

The best-written customer report I've read sofar. Between your writing and "Dirtfishing's (and others of course), videos, we are getting huge benefits from the kinds of experience it takes years to accumulate. Many thanks.

Yes and Steve H. has competition now! No offense Steve, just joking, your still are the Champ!

• Haha 1

an excellent real review, thanks..., and I agree with the multitone-tone id on Spectra v3 is a bit pesado ....

5 hours ago, Whitbey said:

Yes and Steve H. has competition now! No offense Steve, just joking, your still are the Champ!

Not in many ways though I do a few things well - thanks!

It is quite obvious to me that because of my involvement in the project that any comparative tests between Equinox and other makes/models would be looked on with skepticism. I frankly think for me to attempt to do those reports would be in poor taste. I am not a black and white person but thrive on nuance, and I am more aware than almost anyone that my results are tied 100% to the ground I hunt in and my desired targets. I can only speak for myself.

Long story short even though I could go on and on about Equinox vs this or that machine I decided that was best left to others because of real or imagined bias on my part. That being the case I have been craving this sort of reporting as much or more than anyone.

It is a huge mistake for anyone to assume I would care about anything other than honest reports or would try to suppress them in any way. If the report by any individual boiled down to “I gave it a good go and it is not for me due to the following reasons” as long as that opinion is based on actual use by a knowledgeable person (I can tell instantly who those people are) then I find such reports very valuable personally. I want to share information with knowledgeable people and the nays are every bit as valuable as the yays.

Wayfarer obviously knows his stuff based on use so far and I hang on every word from such people. I have no doubt his opinion will refine with more use. For me at least it did take some time for Equinox to reveal itself and I still have a lot to learn. If it’s any indication of what I enjoy Wayfarers report made my day. He sets a good example worth emulating. Good job - can’t say it enough :smile:

• Like 5

Ditto's here Wayfarer. It's honest appraisals such as this which will help Minelab hone in on future updates and improvements in the design. Even then, you are correct..... no machine at this price level is likely to do Everything that the high price machines do....better than they do. However, that does not detract from the fact that the Nox is a stunning , breakthrough, machine in this price range, and many owners will be encouraged in the hobby by the Nox's ability to bring interesting finds out of the kind of locations that beginners, as well as seasoned detectorists, would be spending their time.  Let's all continue to add to the library of knowledge  on the Nox, and with this type of honest input, it can only get better and better.

30 minutes ago, NOXaholic said:

However, that does not detract from the fact that the Nox is a stunning , breakthrough, machine in this price range, and many owners will be encouraged in the hobby by the Nox's ability to bring interesting finds out of the kind of locations that beginners, as well as seasoned detectorists, would be spending their time.

All detectors have a niche. If not they can’t survive in the market. I have maintained since day one that this is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. For me this was never about one particular aspect of Equinox, though there are a few things that shine. It has been about the totality of the capability available for what would be considered a low price. That more than anything else is what makes Equinox special to me.

• Like 1

I don't have the 6" coil yet, but I'm "on the list" with my dealer for whenever they become available.  The little coil ought to make the Equinox shine even brighter and play to its strength of being a great separator.  I can't wait to try it out in heavy iron, including in Gold mode, and see what setting work best to find all the non-ferrous stuff.  Hopefully the 6" coil will arrive in time for the WTHO group hunt in May in Nevada, where we'll be hitting several old ghost town sites.  It's clear one of the Equinox's great strengths is separation, and in iron in particular.  I plan to really put the Equinox to the test, and trying to figure out which modes work best in the heavy iron.  Field mode probably, with its Iron Bias set at 0, but now we're starting to hear that Gold mode may actually be the winner here.  Time will tell, and it's the exciting challenge of all of us collaborating, comparing notes, and figuring all this out with a new powerful detector like the Equinox that is most of the fun.    

I really appreciate the positive comments on my little mini-review.  There are lots of more technical reviews and tests out there, and this was only meant to be a broad overview from a typical end-user's perspective.  Lucky for me, I write in layman's terms because, not being a technical person myself, that's about all I can understand.  :smile:  I do understand a little about DSP from my other interest of ham radio, and that's partly what has me so excited about Multi-IQ.  I've seen what good software engineers can accomplish and Minelab has a great crew of engineers that are really starting to dive into everything modern technology has to offer.  And that's really the most impressive thing about the Equinox to me, is the obviously VERY thoughtful engineering that went into every aspect of its design.  We hobbyists are lucky there is a company out there putting so much effort and resources into giving us good products.  

Steve's forum is quickly becoming the best out there.  He strikes a balance between keeping it clean and thoughtful on one hand and letting his forum become a free-for-all on the other, a very difficult task for any forum owner, and he does a GREAT job.  It's also great because of all the great members who make the effort to contribute thoughtful posts in a positive cooperative manner.  It's a group effort.  So thanks to everyone else who makes this forum succeed.  

Work has me heading overseas for the next little while and I won't be able to detect again until sometime in April, but I'll still be reading, lurking, and chiming in where I can.  I bet I'm like most here, that we just can't get enough reading every little tidbit about the Equinox, so please keep all the great posts coming. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

...and Steve that's why I said best "customer" report...Your reporting is as forum head and moderator (in case there was any question).

• Thanks 1

Yes ,well written and enjoyable to read.

Ive come to enjoy my Equinox more as time goes own.

My only issue is there is a backlight button to highlight the screen.Just wish it also had backlight keyboard,cant see the buttons.

Look forward to the smaller coil.Hope it s elliptical and open desgn .

• Like 1

Thank you Wayfarer, for the well written review. Outstanding job in helping me and others to understand the new Equinox a little better. Best of Luck!

BH

• Thanks 1