Garrett ATX Vs Minelab Excalibur 2 Vs Minelab CTX 3030

The machines have been addressed, but what about the user?  Since you are new to the detecting game, let me throw in some other variables.  The 3 machines you mention are all above average in weight and arguably learning curve.  Can you physically manage a heavier detector?  Can you spend enough time using it to learn it sufficiently?  Are you technically inclined enough to be patient enough to learn the ins and outs of these machines?  Actually they all can do fairly well as turn on and go at first and get the finesse later (some more than others).  A PI can be frustrating though simple to learn.  The CTX can be overwhelming (it has so many options and display info).  The Excal is tone driven and takes getting used to (though it could not be easier to set and go beach hunt).

You just now mentioned the Deus, its a great machine and by far the lightest/easiest to swing.  But it is not great in the salt sand or surf IMO.  Can do park and prospecting with the understanding that multiuse means compromise and obviously no machine is the best choice for each of the three kinds of hunting.

Hi Tom, Thanks for your response.  I dont think weight will be an issue for me,  I'm fairly fit and strong and I guess worst case I could use some kind of harness.  Probably technical enough to figure things out, although from what I have seen on videos on the CTX 3030, i was inclined to think it  has more options than I would need.  I only brought the Deus up after I talked to a salesman today that was very high on it, and seemed to think that it would be great on the beach, parks and prospecting (of course he was a salesman afterall :)  )

In your opinion what don't you like about it that would make it unsuitable for sand and surf.  Have you had any experience using it in mineralized (black) sand (which is where I will be using it)?  Thanks for your help.

The DEUS is a fabulous detector! The problem around water is the wireless coil loses communication with the control box or headphone unless a goofy antenna setup is run up the rod to get the signal above water. It also means submerging the charging connection point on the coil in salt water, and even though the contacts are gold plated it does not give one a warm fuzzy. The DEUS would do just fine on the beach itself but only as well as any single frequency detector. Multi frequency is the way to go for salt water, or a PI.

So with the DEUS we get yet another type of detector, a more common type.

DEUS - parks and prospecting (not so good for beach)

You may want to get two detectors. One strictly for the beach, and another for everything else. If you had an Excalibur for the beach you could get all kinds of $700 models for parks and prospecting. AT Pro, MXT, X-Terra 705, F19 or F70

• Like 1

And in my oponion ,from what Ive seen so far, I would take any of those you listed for parks ,over the Deus. I only have aprox. 120 hours or so on the deus, and its been telic hunting with 2 nuggetshooting trips. The Deus excels in old trashy sites..iron. The i.d. is not very accurate at depth...but it does have great tones. My son uses an AT Pro and does very well with it..and will accurately guess his finds fairly well. You can find a used one in the $400-500 range...same goes for the others..mand see if you even like detecting, before plunking down $2k.Just an idea....

• Like 1

Ok, guys.  Thanks for all the answers and help.  Looks like I may be able to save a lot of money, using the advice I have been getting here.  I'm thinking I may go with the suggestion of getting 2 less expensive models as suggested.  The excaliber seems to be the front runner on the beach. Comparing it to the Fisher CZ-21, any thoughts?  Steve, I noticed you have 2 Fisher models for sale, going to check them out. Thanks again for all the advice

Excalibur and CZ are the two best most well regarded multi frequency salt water detectors you can buy. You can read for hours pages comparing both and the result will be they both are good. Again, a style difference. The Excalibur has a fluty multi tone response. CZ a more distinct three tone system. Excalibur an odd and unique physical design not noted for being particularly robust. More maintenance than the more bullet proof CZ. The CZ has a more traditional control box easily hip or chest mounted. The CZ also just had a huge price increase. My best advice is download and read owners manual for both to help decide.

Fisher CZ-21 Owners Manual

Minelab Excalibur II Owners Manual

Fisher CZ-21
fisher-cz-21-8-coil-underwater-detector.jpg

CZ-21 Specifications

Length Extended: 50”
Length Collapsed: 30”
Control Housing Weight: 2.8 lbs
Weight
Complete (with headset):
8” Coil 5 lb 11 oz
10.5” Coil 6 lb 1 oz
5” Coil 5.4 lb
Handle and Search Coil:
8” Coil 2 lb 6.9 oz
10.5” Coil 2 lb 12.9 oz
5” Coil 2.1 lb
Frequency
1. Dual, VLF Search 5 KHz and 15 KHz
2. Audio Target Response
Iron I.D.: 200 Hz (Low tone)
Foil and Tab I.D.: 450 Hz (Mid tone)
Coin I.D.: 1 KHz (High tone)
Autotune: 500 Hz - 1 KHz (VCO)
Pinpoint: 500 Hz - 1 KHz (VCO)
Operating Modes
1. Autotune - VLF-Motion, all-metal with threshold tone
2. Target I.D.: VLF-Slow Motion, Silent Search Discrimination
3. Pinpoint: VLF, All-Metal, No Motion
Search Coil
Type: Concentric, Co-Planar
Diameter: 8”, 10.5” or 5”
Shielding: 100% ESI
Interchangeable: No
Headset: Waterproof, Piezo Electric
Interchangeable: No
Ground Balance: Touch Pad, Manual or “Preset” Control Markings
Hipmountable Control Housing: Yes
Salt Water/Fresh Water Operation: Yes
Land Operation: Yes
Submersible: to 250 feet

Minelab Excalibur II
minelab-excalibur-diving-beach-metal-detector.jpg

Product Excalibur II
Application Coin, Relic, Jewellery, Beach & Dive (waterproof 200ft)
Technology BBS
Frequency/Transmission Multiple frequencies: 1.5, 3, 4.5,...25.5kHz)
Coil (standard) Choice of 8" or 10" round Double-D hardwired coil.
Audio Output Headphones (hardwired).
Headphones Supplied Koss 8 ohm headphones (hardwired).
Visual Display -
Backlight -
USB Connectivity -
Memory -
Depth Indication -
Detect Modes Discriminate or All-Metal (Pinpoint).
Discrimination Variable Discrimination (adjustable turn control) & All Metal (Pinpoint).
Timings -
Audio tone -
Audio Type -
Ground Balance Automatic ground rejection.
Ground Balance Type -
Trash Density -
Pinpoint Pinpoint mode.
Sensitivity Adjust Auto & manual (adjustable turn control).
Tune / Noise Cancel -
Threshold Adjustable turn contol.
Target Volume Adjust Adjustable turn control.
Battery NiMH battery pack 13V 1000 mAh (14-19 hours). Supplied with mains charger, alkaline battery optional accessory.
Low battery alert Audio alert.
Length Standard shaft 1140mm - 1220mm (45" - 48"); Dive shaft 820mm - 910mm (32" - 36").
Weight 8" Coil 2.1kg (4.6lbs) or 10" coil 2.3kg (5.1lbs) (inc NiMH battery).
Warranty 1 year control box & coil.

• Like 1