My First Session With The Equinox Hitting Gold, Silver & Bronze

Randy Dee

Well done Randy and thanks for the write up.

There is a lot to learn with this machine in tweaking the settings and ADV settings I think

Iron Bias default is set at 0 in Field so there is plenty of scope to increase that.

Love the old hammered.

Happy hunting

• Like 1

Awesome recoveries.  The Equinox will be finding a lot more for you as time goes on.

• Like 1

Randy,

You have done a better job of writing what I experienced with the Equinox.  What is very true is that all signals seem to be of the same intensity which is quite unlike the 3030 and SE Pro which I will compare this to.  I have found some beach gold and was impressed with its depth on that coil.  Your depths in Field 1 and 2 are similar but you do have to 'listen hard' in order to just go for a dig.

My learning curve is great also because of the total dissimilarity to the 3030.  Everything from the button combinations to the sounds and ground balance procedure requires thought and some reading.  I'm still so new to it that it is like a new language.  I try to imagine if I would be finding more or less with the other detectors.

Mitchel

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Randy,

You have done a better job of writing what I experienced with the Equinox.  What is very true is that all signals seem to be of the same intensity which is quite unlike the 3030 and SE Pro which I will compare this to.  I have found some beach gold and was impressed with its depth on that coil.  Your depths in Field 1 and 2 are similar but you do have to 'listen hard' in order to just go for a dig.

My learning curve is great also because of the total dissimilarity to the 3030.  Everything from the button combinations to the sounds and ground balance procedure requires thought and some reading.  I'm still so new to it that it is like a new language.  I try to imagine if I would be finding more or less with the other detectors.

Mitchel

Hello Mitchel

You have hit the nail on the head saying the Equinox "Speaks A New Language".

As I am almost totally deaf I need to wear my hearing aids under my headphone cups so as to make sense of the signal tones and volume so yesterday Monday 26th Feb I spent a few hours trial and testing the various Tone, Pitch & Volume settings and now I think I have achieved the audio response more suitable for my hearing situation, quite remarkably I got my Searcher metal detecting magazine through the post yesterday and in it was an article by our leading UK tester Gordon Heritage and in it he described how to set the Equinox Tones to be almost identical to the Minelab CTX 3030 I am sure Gordon will eventually get around to putting these settings on his ( MLO ) Minelab Owners Forum, he already has put up another of his User Profile search modes and called it his "Killer Program".   All information from the likes of Gordon and Steve on here helps us to form a better understanding much quicker and to make some early in roads to getting the desired results from the Equinox without too much trial and error experimenting when we are out there finding the goodies sooner rather than later.  All in the learning curve.

Good Hunting  -  Randy Dee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Randy,

I echo Steve's remarks about the finds and thank you for what you have shared about the 3030 'sounds' that have been mimicked for the Equinox.  (I wonder if it is possible to mimic smooth and long but they seem to have done it with gold mode on Equinox!)  I had previously subscribed to Mal's Beach programs for a couple of years but didn't make my English trip so I've since dropped its new content.  I'll be looking for the settings you mentioned.

My hearing is failing but most of it I can handle with volume or now I use a booster with a 7000 out in the gold fields to hear the subtle signals.

I look forward to more of your Equinox posts.

Mitchel

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Randy Dee said:

Hello Mitchel

As I am almost totally deaf I need to wear my hearing aids under my headphone cups so as to make sense of the signal tones and volume so yesterday Monday 26th Feb I spent a few hours trial and testing the various Tone, Pitch & Volume settings and now I think I have achieved the audio response more suitable for my hearing situation, quite remarkably I got my Searcher metal detecting magazine through the post yesterday and in it was an article by our leading UK tester Gordon Heritage and in it he described how to set the Equinox Tones to be almost identical to the Minelab CTX 3030 I am sure Gordon will eventually get around to putting these settings on his ( MLO ) Minelab Owners Forum, he already has put up another of his User Profile search modes and called it his "Killer Program".   All information from the likes of Gordon and Steve on here helps us to form a better understanding much quicker and to make some early in roads to getting the desired results from the Equinox without too much trial and error experimenting when we are out there finding the goodies sooner rather than later.  All in the learning curve.

Randy,

I looked to find anything from Gordon available now but could not.  Maybe one of these days but I did find a partial solution to my problem.  I said that I like the way the Equinox sounds in Gold Mode.  That as it turns out is a single tone response.  Why not try it on Beach Mode?  I did and I'll say that dumbing down the sound makes it easier for me to recognize a target.  Once heard then I can look at the numbers.

Today I found two rings.  The gold looking ring is not.  It is mostly copper and when I was digging it I thought it was going to be another penny.  As you can see it is not.  The second ring sounded like a ring (low positives) but turned out to be stainless steel and a bit odd at that.

Still learning.

Mitchel

IMG_9329.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 3:00 AM, Randy Dee said:

Hello Mitchel

Here is a link to the digital edition:

https://www.mymagazinesub.co.uk/searcher/back-issues/details/searcher-mar-2018/

Thanks for telling us it was in this issue.

Mitchel

• Like 1