Pulse Induction 0r Emi Metal Detector

HI everyone.

i'm student of Electrical Engineering and in last year. Our group making final year project named as "Landmines detection using Drone". So far we have completed the Drone which have a payload of 1.5kg and a "Base Station" which will get the coordinates from Drone upon mine detection using its composite GPS module. Now we are stuck with Metal detector which will be less in weight and has more detection range. Please guide us which one will be suitable for us . Either from Pulse induction or EMI... If anyone has a design then please share with me. Thanks a lot..

myquaq.png

I see all kinds of issues with this but at the same time its a good project.  I'd point you to look at real land mine detectors that exist today.   Notice the loop size and how close they need to be swept over the ground.    That fundamental will not change with your project.   You will need to mount that loop on your drone and keep the search loop at that distance above the ground at all times.  

Second you will have to mount the search loop far enough away from your drone that the drone itself doesn't interfere with the electronic fields of the search loop.  That in turn will affect your flying stability.

Anyway....quite the project.  Good luck.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mike Hillis said:

I see all kinds of issues with this but at the same time its a good project.  I'd point you to look at real land mine detectors that exist today.   Notice the loop size and how close they need to be swept over the ground.    That fundamental will not change with your project.   You will need to mount that loop on your drone and keep the search loop at that distance above the ground at all times.  

Second you will have to mount the search loop far enough away from your drone that the drone itself doesn't interfere with the electronic fields of the search loop.  That in turn will affect your flying stability.

Anyway....quite the project.  Good luck.

HH
Mike

thanks for the complement and suggestion.

Can you please provide me the design of Detector that i could implement it please.?

Here is a link to a finished product of what you are attempting.....

https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/19/12222104/landmine-detecting-drone-mine-kafon-drone

I'd refer you to a google search of Land Mine detectors and mfg.     See what the popular designs are.  Then go to this group  http://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum.php  and see if anyone has the schematics available or something close that you can build to suit your vision.

Best Regards,
Mike

• Like 2

On 2/28/2018 at 12:25 PM, usama khurram said:

2ndly the forum cant accept free email account for registration.

Sure it can. All you have to do is follow the instructions in the "Can't Register?" post.

In theory,this is a terrific project but has many many problems that you will come up against,weight issue is one of the biggest problems,also the depth capability of current detecting technology and that is the problem the depth,the way i am thinking you are looking to go with this project is fly a drone or what ever method you finally decide upon above a minefield and use the capabilities of the latest detecting technology.

And that is the problem,even say Pulse of any other platform that is current available or in development 'wont' give you the depth that you are hankering after,as the depth is just not currently available,even if you look at say what is currently the deepest machine going and we think the GPX will fit the bill,then this is when the project falls apart again,as although the GPX or infact any other machine could be used,the capabilities of your drone just wont be able to not only lift it,but it would also hover nearly at ground level to get even a few inches depth.So hence this project would be dead in it current format.

You can bet the big boys that have deep pockets in military defence and weaponry would be working on this type of project,but they have not only deep pocket possibly running into million rather than a project on say a $1000 budget but also develop the software needed even if its even feasible.Military Ariel drones that are used just for visual  observations can of course be much smaller because of the advancement in camera size and hence this is why we see drones used for personal use as well as military exercises as well,the main draw back with your project is the weight and the depth of current detecting technology and that  i feel just is not available at the moment,we have been stuck in a depth rut for years with hobby detecting.

So although you have a stunning looking drone and some wonderful ideas on this project,i feel and excuse the pun i dont think this project will ever get 'off the ground',of course i hope i am wrong,but i try and look outside the box,possibly look at using the drone project for another military or peace time requirement or application......that i think could be the way forward with this project,even if the technology was available i doubt personally that anyone in there right mind would provide details free of charge anyway,as the possibility of a huge financial reward from these mine clearing devices could be skies the limit,but we are currently stuck with old technology of a human risking a life on clearing a mine field.

Of course i wish you all the very best in the project,but its a very tough cookie to crack

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RickUK said:

we are currently stuck with old technology of a human risking a life on clearing a mine field.

Please forgive my naivety concerning this subject, but wouldn't it work to clear the area of people, and simply run expendable and cheap objects over the mines, and just let them blow up?  I'm sure, if there are valuable structures in the area, this would complicate things, but those might not be "airdroneable" areas anyway.  In other words, wouldn't ground drones work cheaper and better?

Are we looking for high tech solutions to a lower tech problem?

• Like 1