Sleeping Gear Advice Request

Retirement less than 6 months away....  Kinda like waiting for the Equinox -- time really slows down when it's something you want really badly.  :biggrin:

Few of us are 20 years old anymore, and obviously the ability to put in a good day of detecting requires, at a minimum, a good night's sleep.

I've not quite settled on a vehicle, but I'm close.  Front runner is the new (2017&18) Jeep Compass Trailhawk.  That choice could be discussed/debated but I have a more mundane question, and that's how to sleep comfortably.  My plan is to be able to fold down the back seat and passenger seat to give enough length to sleep inside the vehicle with all doors securely closed.  I envision some combination of low profile cot, air mattress, foam mattress, air/foam pillow, and of course sleeping bag, etc. to stay warm/cool.  Can I get by with just a cot, or just an air mattress, or would I be better combining cot + air/foam mattress?  Any favorite products that have worked for you?

• Like 1

I'm very happy with my 2011 awd GMC Savanna van.  I made a simple plywood platform tall enough for totes to store under it. On top of that I use foam pads and a memory foam mattress topper.  I tried a cot in the van but the platform makes storage much easier.  Works for me and plenty of room for gear.  Even better would be a Sprinter Van one could stand up in.  Hope this helps.

Paul

• Like 1

Combining cot + air/foam mattress  works the best for me, it`s easier to get out of a cot than getting off the ground from an air mattress. The air mattress/foam pad helps to insulate the cold that creeps up through the cot

• Like 1

If it's something you plan on eking a lot of mileage out of, I'd go for something by Toyota. Not that American motors are junk, but there's a reason why Japanese trucks and SUVs have insanely high resale value. I'd buy a 4wd Tacoma and throw a basic topper on the back or Flip-pac and make it work. Cots can be surprisingly comfortable, hammocks too weather permitting.

• Like 3

I run a Leer 180 camper shell on my 2006 access cab LB 4x4 tacoma works out well for sleeping for me. Most SUV type vehicles are pretty cramped these days for sleeping. As for newer used toyota trucks I would recommend a 2013-2015 over the newer third gen tacoma. It has that 4.0L engine with a lot of get up and go to it, and the auto transmission matches it well, not a lot of downshifting like on the newer models.

The composite bed in the truck is great for camping, way less conducting of the outside cold in with no metal bed.

Congratulations are in order for the upcoming retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you go for a toyota tacoma instead of a jeep get one with the 6 foot bed the smaller 5 foot bed just does not cut it ,another good choice  is a toyota 4 runner good room with the seats down.

• Like 1

I have lived out of a Toyota 4-Runner doing exactly as described - laying the passenger seat back flat with the rear seat then padding appropriately into a permanent bed. That meant a couple towels to level things up then a 8’ x 4” thick foam pad cut to fit. Lots of the time I just put the driver seat back and call it a night.

I like the flip up hatch back for rainy mornings. Flip it open to access kitchen.

4-runner-camping.jpg

• Like 6

Here is my 2003 Tacoma with a tent extension I made for it. It is made out of canvas so if it rains you need to add a tarp over the top. We put 2 single inflatable sleeping pads side by side, then a couple sleeping bags on top of those for extra cushion.  There's a zipper that runs down the middle I purchased on ebay for $6.50. You also need a couple supports to keep the hatch propped up. I just cut some 1/2'' wood dowels to size. One downside to this setup is that everything must be removed from the bed in order to sleep.

IMAG0782.jpg

• Like 3

Here is the flip-pac that I was talking about - really nice if you don't want to sacrifice everyday function for comfort. I know they make them for Tacoma's and some full size trucks (It looks and functions like a normal topper until unfolded.) **Not my rig pictured, only an example**

DSC000841.jpg

• Like 2

How do you get up and down from the truck top tent? With my luck and poor memory, I'd ferget that 1st BIG step down .Us older guys have to do our business several times at nite nowadays. Sharp lookin Taco. 

Do Tacoma truck frames rust out west like they seem to do here in the rust belt? I am leaning towards a Chevy Colorado instead or the new 2019 Ford Ranger to try to avoid this rusty frame Tacoma issue.

And 4 inches of thick foam padding is an absolute must have, unless you don't mind painful hips in the morning? I learnt that the hard way from tent/car camping. They do have double thick air mattresses, twin size ,about 18 inch tall, around 50 bucks for an Intex with electric air pump.

-Tom V.