Sleeping Gear Advice Request

On 3/2/2018 at 12:46 PM, GB_Amateur said:

That choice could be discussed/debated but I have a more mundane question, and that's how to sleep comfortably. 

Some years have passed since I bought my last tent and sleeping pad, and they haven't been used but once now. When setting it all up, my friend told me everyone's going with hammocks these days. So I did some online research and found a hammock forums (dot net) site that was as good for hammocks as this one is for prospecting and metal detecting (my opinion). After reading many many hours, I bought a nearly new hammock and slept in that. Oh my, very comfortable but was smallish, darkish, and strange at first. Many experiments later using large tablecloth blanks and home made suspensions, with eye hooks across the living room for tests (no wife to complain, she passed on before me), I came up with a size and width that was really great. I came up with ideas for zippers and such and found a cottage vendor that had a similar product to what I'd make myself if my sewing skills could handle it. I've been sleeping in it most every night since. I have never slept better nor more comfortably than a good hammock. Not even the select comfort bed comes close. So, I can recommend you do some due diligence and look into hammock sleeping. Folks with bad backs have reported losing their back problems even. There are bug nets to keep the skeeters out, and tarps for rain, overcovers for retaining warmth in the cold, and down quilts, top and bottom for even sub zero temps (google frozen butt hang in Minnesota for some real gonzo enthusiasts). I can go back to ground if I absolutely have to, but will make all efforts to avoid it. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2018 at 5:26 PM, deathray said:

Yota  man. Can' be beat. Or older Cherokee. Colorado and ranger won' hold up in boonies

I got 250,000 rough miles out of my 96 Ford Ranger with a Flip pac on it & it was still running good when I traded it off.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:37 PM, SteveJJ said:

Some years have passed since I bought my last tent and sleeping pad, and they haven't been used but once now. When setting it all up, my friend told me everyone's going with hammocks these days. So I did some online research and found a hammock forums (dot net) site that was as good for hammocks as this one is for prospecting and metal detecting (my opinion). After reading many many hours, I bought a nearly new hammock and slept in that. Oh my, very comfortable but was smallish, darkish, and strange at first. Many experiments later using large tablecloth blanks and home made suspensions, with eye hooks across the living room for tests (no wife to complain, she passed on before me), I came up with a size and width that was really great. I came up with ideas for zippers and such and found a cottage vendor that had a similar product to what I'd make myself if my sewing skills could handle it. I've been sleeping in it most every night since. I have never slept better nor more comfortably than a good hammock. Not even the select comfort bed comes close. So, I can recommend you do some due diligence and look into hammock sleeping. Folks with bad backs have reported losing their back problems even. There are bug nets to keep the skeeters out, and tarps for rain, overcovers for retaining warmth in the cold, and down quilts, top and bottom for even sub zero temps (google frozen butt hang in Minnesota for some real gonzo enthusiasts). I can go back to ground if I absolutely have to, but will make all efforts to avoid it. Just my two cents.

SJJ-That's Solid Advice! Ill start  experimenting w/ hammock sleeping'IG