All-around Vehicle For On/off Road

Yeah, I downgraded from a Troopy (86-2012) magic vehicle to a Hilux Xcab, pretty happy with it , after a suspension rework but it is not a Troopy.

No diesel Toyotas in the US ?   OZ is indeed the lucky country. I`ll stick my neck out a wee bit, probably more diesel Toyotas have carted more detected gold home in OZ than all the other brands combined.

• Like 4

The chevy colorado and gmc canyon with the 4 cylinder turbo diesel is a great choice, u can get 4wd and 4 doors they are compact and we use some at work and ive seen 40 plus miles to the gallon on them on long hwy drives, with tons of hauling and pulling power. Easy to drive if your not a fan of big trucks...much bigger on the inside with a 4 door model then u would think.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 12:32 AM, rexhavoc said:

One point that maybe should also be on your list of criteria is "reliability" - which rules out Jeeps IMO.

Yes, reliability is important.  The problem is, how do you measure it?  MPG can be measured.  Cost can be measured.  Even offroad performance can be compared.  Reliability is only quantifiable for the past.  One place you can get useful info:  user reports when you're in the market for a used vehicle (and most here have been recommending that route).

For sure Chrysler and probably Fiat have had their issues in the past.  So have Toyota, GM, and Audi.... to name just three popular choices.  Another thing about reliability/longevity -- it definitely also includes the individual driver himself.

Hang on, so your telling me that an efficient 4.2 litre turbo diesel, 6 cylinder landcruiser wagon isn't allowed in the U.S. but those massive GMC/Chevy/Dodge/Yukon things with 8 litre petrol engines that are gallon guzzlers and were pretty much dismissed from this whole thread because they are so thirsty...they are okely dokely neighborino???  

Am I right to be confused?  :huh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Northeast said:

Hang on, so your telling me that an efficient 4.2 litre turbo diesel, 6 cylinder landcruiser wagon isn't allowed in the U.S. but those massive GMC/Chevy/Dodge/Yukon things with 8 litre petrol engines that are gallon guzzlers and were pretty much dismissed from this whole thread because they are so thirsty...they are okely dokely neighborino???  

Ya rediculous isn’t it.  Then you have California that’s twice as bad as the rest of the country, almost a country of its own.

• Like 2

Here in the UK about 20 years ago the Government told us all about the benefits of using diesel fuel as it was more eco-friendly and it was cleaner than what petrol was,so over the years sales of petrol based cars dropped like a lead balloon and sales of diesel cars rocketed,then after everyone had bought diesel they started 'waltzing' the price up at the pump,this then became one of the Government revenue earners and basically we had all been lied too.

Then about 2-3 years ago reports started surfacing that actually diesel pollution was actually worst than petrol,so sales of diesel based car have dropped down by well over 50% and sales of petrol car are on the rise again,then another bomb shell has evolved over the last 12 months,that here in the UK that as from 2040 sales of both petrol and diesel cars will be outlawed and i guess all vehicles will be electric.

Lucky enough i doubt that i will be still driving in 2040,so thats the fuel situation here in the UK,currently at the moment big diesel powered 4x4 vehicles are heavily frowned upon and they are gradually ramping up taxes on these cars with i guess the long term intention of 'driving them off the road' excuse the pun but that is what they are doing.

Just my prospective of a large UK diesel powered 4x4 owner

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Northeast said:

Yes-that's true.

The last diesel car i had was in about 1980 when Nissan (Datsun) had a king cab little ute that had a 4 banger in it with a 5 speed manual---- it was great for road use---40+mpg and I was putting lots of miles on it---traded it in for a Plymouth!!!

Another one of my lapses in consciousness....:wacko:

• Haha 1