Hasn't been as nice late winter weather as last year, but 50 F (10 C) is definitely MD'ing weather, particularly if it's not real windy and better yet if the sun is shining, as it was for me yesterday.  Only got out for ~3 hours, maybe more time today....  I've been thinking about where I'll go first when the Eqx arrives, and the park hunt I chose was related to that.  It has (past and present) yielded a bit of everything, including trash.  (I do have a much trashier site but I'd like to break in the Eqx a bit slowly -- rather I'd like to learn to walk with it before I try to run.)  Rather than to try and clean out this area (that would take days with all the iron) I decided to leave the really iffy targets, particularly the ones that could be strongly masked.  I was more/less going to hunt like the typical cherry picker coin hunter -- the type of MD'ist that I am pretty sure went through this site before my arrival.

I decided to hunt a part of the park I've never searched before (and that's not difficult to do because it's a decent sized park and I hunt slowly).  I do think other(s) have hunted here before, but probably not for about 15 or 20 years based upon the modern coins (clad and Lincoln Memorials) I've found.  And there's always hope they missed some oldies -- I've found a few.

Running the Fisher F75 with 7x11in^2 DD coil in DE(default) discrimination process, minimum discrimination threshold, 4H tones ('H' means nickel zone reads high with its coinage brethren), gain of 60 (out of 99).

A couple hours into my three hour window, after getting the typical (few) clad and Memorials plus quite a bit of junk, such as ring-and-beavertail pulltabs and old rusty crown caps, I got a quite variable TID centered halfway between zinc and copper pennies.  My experience (and from what I've read by others), the F75 doesn't give the sharpest or most consistent TID unless the object is A) uniform in shape such as a coin, B) reasonably close to the surface, say within 4 inches, C) sitting horizontally, D) well away from trash, particularly iron, and E) read with a consistent coil swing.  But what is between the two compositions of modern pennies?  Large can slaw is the first thing that comes to mind.  For example, on this same hunt I found a horizontally oriented 12 oz aluminum drink can lid (missing both the square tab and the punchout disc) buried maybe 3 inches deep which was a steady 64-65.  Of course that was a very strong signal.  This one, although strong, was not nearly as consistent.  A large piece of aluminum can with ragged edges cause by the evil lawn mower goblin?  No way I'm skipping this.

OK, enough of the dramatic buildup -- below is what I found.  There is a '925' on the clasp.  I'd rather find six common date silver Roosies but there's still about the same amount of silver in this as those.  Pretty good start to the month of March.

P1010017.thumb.JPG.3dcc379d1f8fcab74e1b6f31a91e3ea3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice chunk of silver.  That would make any ones day for sure.  Speaking of large shallow aluminum being loud,  the only silver dollar I have found was at about 3" and on the CZ-5 sounded like a crushed pop can.  Gotta dig it to find it!

Tom

• Like 1