Mixed Results With Equinox 600 So Far

Bayard

I've been taking my Equinox 600 to sites that I've hit hard in the past, and found multiple silver coins, with an Etrac.  I've exclusively used Park 1 and a recovery speed of 3, the maximum.  The results are inconclusive so far.

Site 1: found a wheat cent.

Site 2: found two wheat cents.

Site 3: found a war nickel and a wheat cent.  The wheat cent was completely surrounded by iron.

Site 4: found nothing old with Equinox.  Tried Etrac immediately thereafter and dug a Mercury dime and wheat cent.

Site 5: found nothing old with Equinox.  Tried Etrac immediately thereafter and dug a relatively shallow Standing Liberty quarter.

• Like 4

I've heard Park 2 deeper, so I tried it today with encouraging results.  I didn't have time to cross check my Etrac finds with the Equinox yesterday. 

I've reduced recovery speed to see if it will make an iffy signal improve, haven't noticed a difference yet.  I'm using the factory default iron bias, don't even know how to adjust it yet.

As I'm sure you know a faster recovery speed will clip your target tones and as an experienced Etrac user you are used to going slower. I would imgaine that it is an easier leap to go from a Deus to the equinox than from an etrac to the equinox. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself though. You did make great finds in places you had hit hard the first time out with a brand new machine you don't know all that well. I'd say you had an awesome first couple of hunts. 

• Like 5

I am also going from an Etrac to the 600.  So far I like the Equinox, but I don't think it is going to replace the Etrac.  I've been using it mainly in trashy settings where the Etrac even with a small coil had a hard time separating, and I think the Equinox does work better there. Found a silver mercury yesterday that I'm pretty sure the Etrac missed (can't be certain it's the Equinox difference, though, as the Etrac also finds things it has earlier missed--different angles, different moisture, who knows?). However, depth and ID numbers are not nearly as reliable as those of the Etrac, at least so far for me.  I've mostly used it in Field2, but am playing around with speed and bias.

1 hour ago, Bayard said:

Site 7: two wheat cents from an extremely trashy old site.  I was impressed by a 1968 dime that had two rusty folded over bottle caps and half a beavertail in the same hole.

Out of curiosity, how did the 68 dime sound? When you swept the coil over it did you hear the dime first, second or third? The unmasking via separation is uncanny to me and I'm interested in how you ascertained a dime was there.

TIA!

1 hour ago, Skate said:

Out of curiosity, how did the 68 dime sound? When you swept the coil over it did you hear the dime first, second or third? The unmasking via separation is uncanny to me and I'm interested in how you ascertained a dime was there.

TIA!

I was discriminating out everything 21 and below; so, I got a consistent high tone that was slightly faint.  I switched to "all metal" before digging and could hear the high tone surrounded by junk, second based on your terminology.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bayard said:

I was discriminating out everything 21 and below; so, I got a consistent high tone that was slightly faint.  I switched to "all metal" before digging and could hear the high tone surrounded by junk, second based on your terminology.

Cool. Thanks for the insight!