Mixed Results With Equinox 600 So Far

Bayard

On 3/16/2018 at 1:30 PM, Cabin Fever said:

My early Wheats and Indian Head Cents have been ringing up 20-21 so be careful ignoring zincs signals.. I use depth to make dig decisions on the zinc signals when I’m in Old Coin cherry pick Mode..

Bryan

Bryan, 

All of the copper memorials and wheat cents ring in high for me 25-27. IHP 20-21, the same as a zinc. I also use depth as a gauge as to whether or not to dig the 19-21 signal. I did dig a beautiful copper suspender clasp in the shape of a Fleur-de- Lis that rang in 20-21. That was a "site dependent" dig choice,  though,. I wouldn't have dug it in a modern park.

Thanks for your observations.

Dean

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 1:50 PM, Dubious said:

I am generally hunting in the discrimination mode but switch to AM when I've found a target. If indicated, I also use the wriggle-and-recede from various angles to get more information.

Steve, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when you push the horseshoe button, you're not really going into an all metals mode, it's simply running at zero disc, which isn't the same thing.  The default programs have already disc'd out iron and the lower end of conductors (like foil), but if you wanted to hunt a site that you wanted to listen to the iron (like a ghost town for example) you could simply press the horseshoe button and hunt in zero disc mode.

37 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

when you push the horseshoe button, you're not really going into an all metals mode, it's simply running at zero disc, which isn't the same thing.

On the Equinox, the horseshoe button toggles to All Metal mode.  Steve talked earlier on some thread about differences in what is meant by "All Metal mode" for different detectors, I don't remember all the details, but for sure, the horseshoe button toggles to All metal mode on the Equinox.  And yes, that mode does not discriminate, ie it signals for all metal targets the detector senses, regardless of the discrimination pattern of the mode that is switched from.

Yes, the Horseshoe button is the same discriminate mode you are hunting in already. The only change when you push the button is all items are set to accept. Each item is still being discriminated (filtered) but is told that anything going through the filter is a good target.

A true all metal mode has no discrimination filter in the first place. Most gold nugget detector primary hunt modes are true unfiltered all metal modes.

Gold Mode is a simulated all metal mode in that it features VCO audio, a common feature in all metal modes, but you can still discriminate items, so obviously targets are passing through the discrimination filter.

The assumption is a true all metal mode is more powerful than a disc mode set to accept all items. I will be the first to question if that is true with Equinox. It’s disc modes are more powerful than most detectors unfiltered all metal modes.

All metal notes

Mixed Mode

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's Steve, I was pretty sure that the Horseshoe button wasn't a true all metals mode, in the sense that traditional detectors have an all metals mode.  It was simply not discriminating/notching anything from -9 to 40.

I think it's great that they had the foresight to include this feature, great for checking targets, or for searching new sites and trying to hone in on the areas of main in-habitation which typically include tell tale signs of copious amounts of iron. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 6:53 PM, bado1 said:

Bryan, 

All of the copper memorials and wheat cents ring in high for me 25-27. IHP 20-21, the same as a zinc. I also use depth as a gauge as to whether or not to dig the 19-21 signal. I did dig a beautiful copper suspender clasp in the shape of a Fleur-de- Lis that rang in 20-21. That was a "site dependent" dig choice,  though,. I wouldn't have dug it in a modern park.

Thanks for your observations.

Dean

I had a couple of deep silver dimes (a merc and a rosie) TID in the low 30's, and a third one was a rock solid 26.  The two in the low 30's where softer signals (not quite whispers, but not banging like the one @ 26), so I was surprised the TID went up vs down as you normally see with VLF machines (F75 for example).  

Site 13: 1940-S Mercury dime, two wheat cents, and an old bus token.  The Mercury dime was a strong clear signal.  After I dug it, I hit the horseshoe button and could hear iron in the hole.