First Beach Hunt…not Bad

I am by no means fully comfortable with my new 800 but I have read alot, watched the generous videos and played with all the bells and whistles so I decided to hit the beach this morning. There was no cut but there was a place near the embankment leading down to the sand that I know from years past has had a lot of people around it so I decided to give it a go. I was in Beach 1 with the sensitivity up a touch (22), but other than that I was planning to use the time to listen to how the tones corresponded with the targets. 

To my surprise I began to pick up good sounding targets right away. After two hours I had only worked an area about 40' by 40' and you can see the results below. 

Some thoughts: I had a hell of a time pinpointing. The pinpoint button was pretty good but all in all that was my biggest area of confusion. Where in the heck does a target 5 or 6 inches down hit on the coil? Anyway, that is definitely something I have to learn more about, I was terrible at it. 

Secondly; it is absolutely necessary to take the coil cover off each time you use the detector, especially in the sand. To my surprise I see that the coil cover is the only thing between the potting in the coil and the ground. (first full coil pic) I am a PI detectorist and so maybe I just don't know about vlf's but I was surprised to see the potting so easily accessed. After two hours of hunting, there was lots of sand under the coil cover and I am sure it began to affect the way the detector behaved. 

Anyway that's it. I thought I'd add a post for once instead of just reading everyone's contributions. 

Oh and P.S. - this is a killer detector and it made me look pretty good today.

coins.jpg

coil no cover.JPG

coil potting.JPG

• Like 8

Flak, try this method of pinpointing with the Equinox.  It's a DD coil, so should work the same.  I've been using this method for years, much quicker recovery.  Thanks for the report on the 800.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve, that was a real help, thanks. It makes perfect sense, can't wait to try it.

6 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Secondly; it is absolutely necessary to take the coil cover off each time you use the detector, especially in the sand. To my surprise I see that the coil cover is the only thing between the potting in the coil and the ground. (first full coil pic) I am a PI detectorist and so maybe I just don't know about vlf's but I was surprised to see the potting so easily accessed. After two hours of hunting, there was lots of sand under the coil cover and I am sure it began to affect the way the detector behaved. 

Put the coil cover in the closet and put a coat of marine epoxy on the bottom. :wink:

Dave

Well done Flak.  What Fred said.  You can also spray it with one of those rubber sprays (tape it first like before you paint) with the cover on and it completely dry.  I do that to my PI coil covers when they get thin.

I just got back from the beach and will post up a bit later after a picture.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

In all the coil protections of my metaldetectors I sealed the profiles with black silicone sealant, without removing the protection, only externally, along the perimeter of the whole coil, in this way the sand and dirt remain outside and anyway the protection can be easily removed.

• Thanks 1