Field 2 Hunt Results

bado1

I followed TNSS's lead and did a hunt entirely in Field 2 today. The site is a late 1800s rail road spur that serviced a large mining town. The mine produced large amounts of copper and silver. They smelted the ore and then shipped it by rail to a refinery. They spilled a lot of the "raw" smelted metals while adding cars to the line at this spur. The site is very polluted. We have hunted it with various machines. The Nokta Relic, Impact, and AT-Gold did pretty good here sifting through the trash BUT only if they were wearing small coils and hunted slow. The Equinox excelled here with the stock 11" coil and I found that it performed better hunting fairly fast. Settings were Field 2, Speed 6, 50 tones, Iron Bias 2. The 6" coil will be killer on a site like this one!

IMG_0087.jpg.16186ecb2341cf4aaaafaeece36ae1a2.jpg

I found my first Indian Head Penny (1905)! That probably sounds funny to you guys that hunt back East and find IHPs all the time. The trade off... I can drive 20 minutes from my house and find gold nuggets. It's a cross I will have to bear I guess. A few lead box car seals, part of a baggage tag that says Prescott on it, a brass or copper piece that looks like the hinged top from a drawing compass or the base of a hand held fan (?), suspender buckle, and some really odd shell casings....303 British (with bullet), .56 Spencer, and oddest of all a .38-55. The large chunk of smelted metal in the upper right corner acid tests as silver. It IDs in the mid 30s on the Equinox. I've found some other nice chunks of smelted silver here. The black rock-like object (looks natural) comes in at a solid 12 on the Equinox. Not sure what it is. When I hit it on the grinder it is solid metal of some sort (very heavy) with a bluish hue kinda like the color steel becomes when over heated with a torch. 

Anyway, Field 2 seems to like the low conductors best and is very immune to the hot rocks from the track ballast (which gave the AT-Gold and the Impact fits). Nice and sparky with Iron bias set to zero but tames down when set on 2 as TNSS mentioned. 

Dean

• Like 5

That's an awesome day for sure. I haven't run 50 tones yet and I'm not sure if I'm ever going to. That IHP is really cool. Do you remember what it rang at? Great job on the recoveries. Hopefully the 6 will be here soon. I'm not going to try and jewelry hunt my park until I get it. The nox just picks up everything. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Skate. I was having "coin envy" after seeing your seated finds! The IHP pales in comparison. Congratulations!

The IHP was very shallow (1") and, as such,  gave a double beep with a VDI of 19-20. Lower than a zinc penny. 

Dean

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Nice hunt.

Field 2 detect mode, still has me in awe really. Some thing is going on with it.  It sniffs things out, don't seem to be as deep as park 2 in my sites.  But I sure like what is does.

Nice finds too.

Seems both our treks are just beginning with the Nox.

Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on the IH and thanks for the tip on Field 2 as I have a couple old Depots in the area that have given up coins in the past including a Shield Nickel..

• Like 1

Thanks, TNSS!

Yes, Field 2 has a lot going for it. Gonna have to play with it a bit more.

I thought that you would be interested in that .38-55 case. I've never seen one.

Dean

1 hour ago, bado1 said:

Thanks, Skate. I was having "coin envy" after seeing your seated finds! The IHP pales in comparison. Congratulations!

The IHP was very shallow (1") and, as such,  gave a double beep with a VDI of 19-20. Lower than a zinc penny. 

Dean

That’s the thing. Depth is way overrated to me. A one inch IHP surrounded by iron and junk is more likely than one being 8” down in my experience. IHP’s are beautiful coins. I’ve only found a few. You did well. 

• Like 1