Oldest Message In A Bottle Found

“A Perth family has found the world's oldest known message in a bottle, almost 132 years after it was thrown into the sea, Australian experts say. Tonya Illman picked up the bottle while going for a walk around sand dunes on a remote beach in West Australia. Her husband Kym Illman told the BBC they found some paper in the bottle but had "no idea" what it was until they took it home and dried it in the oven. 

Experts have confirmed it is an authentic message from a German ship. The note in the bottle, which was dated 12 June 1886, was jettisoned from the German ship Paula, as part of an experiment into ocean and shipping routes by the German Naval Observatory. Previously, the Guinness world record for the oldest message in a bottle was 108 years, between it being sent and found.”

Full story http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43299283

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

In the 60’s I lived along the Texas coast and from time to time I’d find bottles that had been drop off in the Gulf. It would tell you when and where it was put in the water. The only thing they ask is the date and where you found it and mail it to them.

Some did have some age on it but nothing like the one you posted.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a young kid I searched for the perfect bottle to put a message in. I spent all day finding one and cleaning it. Then I wrote a long detailed message and carefully rolled it up in plastic and sealed it in the bottle with a cork then dipped the end in wax. The next day I went down to the Hackensack River and dreaming of someone finding it many years later fascinated me. I went to the waters edge and with closed eyes threw the bottle with all my might. One second later it hit a rock and exploded into pieces. I got a metal detector after that and now I'm fascinated by what I might find years later. Bottles are for holding liquids.

• Like 3