The Nox 800, The Right Tool For The Right Job

Dan(NM)

You might want to go back to those light to moderate trash spots running your current settings. The relatively high default recovery speeds exist for a reason and people lowering them “for more depth” are often shooting themselves in the foot. There is a lot more to the issue of masking than most people realize. You might get a surprise.

Glad to see you got into the silver!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You might want to go back to those light to moderate trash spots running your current settings. The relatively high default recovery speeds exist for a reason and people lowering them “for more depth” are often shooting themselves in the foot. There is a lot more to the issue of masking than most people realize. You might get a surprise.

Glad to see you got into the silver!

After what I learned in the last 2 days, I believe I will! 

• Like 2

Nice hunt and report Dan..   I believe high trash and tough ground is where the Equinox is going to shine..

Looks like that Merc was on edge...   Surprisingly, I dug a Nickel yesterday standing on edge that still read a solid 13.. The high conductors are bouncy but staying in the correct range but the Nickels  have been rock solid so far..

Again, nice hunt and thanks for posting..

Bryan

• Like 1

Great write up.  I have noticed the same type results in my heavy trash areas.  Amazing how you can hunt by tone and just how extremely fast the EQ can recover between targets with that sweet high tone.

Keep us posted on your hunts.

• Like 1

If you block ferrous consider opening it up in those “low trash” areas and head where ferrous is thickest. If there are old sprinkler systems work around sprinkler heads and the old pipe systems. Sprinkler heads read like quarters here but are easily identified by raising the coil.

Your soil looks like it could also be subjecting you to ground masking effects even in the “low trash” areas. I never run a recovery speed here of less than 5 and am normally at 6 due to ground mineralization alone. I might bump to 7 in the densest trash.

The defaults have been very well tested and should be the starting place for almost everyone. Don’t try to outthink the machine initially. The default recovery speed of 6 in most modes is not an accident.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Remember before the EQ came out, a dealer at the Minelab conference  took a pic of the Minelab rep comparing the EQ with the Deus and ATGold?   That appears to be the market the EQ was designed for.  Water,  multi frequencies , speed and separation.  Throw in excellent ground capabilities and Excellent ID .

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Nox 800 at speed 7 places it in a very elite group.  Actually this group I am talking about might just be the Nox itself. Lol

Folks will notice I have been using speed 7 chasing behind other detectors and YES some good finds are being located and recovered.

I have located 2 high conductive finds using speed 8. When toggling back to speed 7, signal gotten I rate as tone heard satisfactory only because I heard and suspected something was there using speed 8.

Good thread Dan !!

Really good report. If there was a book being put together about the Nox, your thoughts and Steve's confirmation should be included. We need to appreciate the Equinox for what it is and what it does, not try to make it more like another detector.

Today I hit another spot previously hunted to death and while i didn't find any winners I found around 12 memorials that had been missed by me and two other detectorists. They were all 3-5" down. All masked by trash until today. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Skate said:

We need to appreciate the Equinox for what it is and what it does, not try to make it more like another detector.

Thank you! :wub:

Anybody not leveraging the Deus-like speed/separation capability combined with multifrequency id is really missing the entire point of Equinox.

Minelab E-trac, CTX 3030, Excalibur Versus Equinox

• Like 3