First Equinox 800 Hunt And Beginners Luck Strikes Gold!

First of all Cal I want to thank you for using default settings when starting out. Too many people are making a mess out of Equinox out the starting gate trying to outthink the designers. My settings vary very little from defaults, just tweaks really.

Random tips. People may be overly entranced with Field 2 as a “magic mode”. Park 2 and Field 2 are hotter on tiny stuff and weak conductors. So much so that Field 2 by default has target id 1 and 2 blocked to eliminate the tiniest non-ferrous targets, foil, and coke. In my opinion blocking this range takes some of the edge off that I seek. If tiny stuff or coke is not driving you crazy open it up. I open it up first and only block it if those items are creating problems for me. I don’t like blocking things by default. If tiny stuff is creating an actual problem it may be better instead to run Park 1 or Field 1 instead which are not as hot on these tiny objects in the first place, especially if hunting high conductors. No right or wrong here just food for thought.

For me the surface target indication is a triple hit as the coil edges and middle pass over the shallowest targets. Equinox by design will not overload in situations where other detectors go into continuous overload. It can run on magnetite black sand that will blow other VLF detectors off the air. I have had problems with Euro machines going into continuous overload in many places in the west. It is unlikely this will be an issue with Equinox, especially with Beach 2 as emergency fallback.

The sheer power of the machine does also make targets sound shallow for quite a few inches. Remember that depth meters are just signal strength calibrated to a known target like a dime. Modulation requires the signal strength to fade or that the machine have some other way to know the target is getting deeper. The problem? with Equinox is signal strength does not begin to drop off until you get fairly deep. If modulation started at the surface deep targets would get way too weak. I am not saying these things do not have possible fixes but there are reasons why it is the way it is, not just simple oversight on the part of the engineers. Multi-IQ really is different and everyone is having to learn new things about it, including the design team.

It is critical when dealing with ferrous to open the ferrous range up so you can hear the ferrous component of a signal. Many ferrous items give off both ferrous and non-ferrous signals, and by blocking non-ferrous audio all you hear is the non-ferrous component. Set tones and volumes such that you do not suffer from audio overload i.e. lower the ferrous volume. For me 50 tones wide open is the way I normally hunt, for all the reasons noted above but five tones offers more customization flexibility, especially on the 800.

Great video, great first hunt, that ring may be more valuable than you think! Thanks for posting.

P.S. I liked the ring for another reason - the recent debate on nickel signals and pull tabs. My take was you just never know what will pop up in that range and getting too fixated on one target id can miss some great finds. You just proved that!!

• Like 8

Steve thanks for sharing your insight, and  tips, very helpful.

Later today I'll be meeting up with Tom to detect a relic site, it's a new site that I'm completely unfamiliar with, so it will make sense to open up the iron range and drop the iron audio volume, as for relic sites I definitely want to know where the iron is.  I'll check the manual for the differences between PARK1/2 and FIELD2, but you're correct, I've been noting people are gravitating towards FIELD2 and having success with it, so that's what I thought would be the best mode to start off with. 

I hear what your saying about modulation and surface targets.   I don't really use the depth meter, but would like better audio feedback on depth.  I could see leaving it as is for beach modes, but for park and field modes (particularly park) people tend to rely on modulation to cherry pick those deep conductors.  I know it's unlikely to happen, but perhaps ML could add some kind of adjustable modulation setting in the future, or on the next gen EQ machines.  It's definitely going to take some getting used to, as the surface targets were fairly confusing (I can only imagine how this will work in a ghost town environment where there's tons of targets, many are literally on the surface, only covered by a scattering of sand/soil).  Another item to master with experience.

So for going into a brand new ghost town/relic type site you've never detected before, and being a new EQ800 user, you would recommend I trying PARK1/2 over FIELD2 then right?

Thanks!
Brian

Thanks for that video, Cal.  Very promising results in a place that has seen serious hunting.  For me it looks a lot like some of my sites so I'm stoked I'll do as well as you were doing.

Regarding others cherry-picking, that makes sense, but those non-ferrous (brass/copper) washers are a good sign, IMO.  Who knows how to discriminate those out?  I suspect others didn't see them (depth or masking) or got off-ID's.  I recall with at least one you were hitting up there with the high conductor coins.  I like seeing that!

Nice video Cobra. Be prepared for the small stuff we you hit the Spanish Trail. Loved the ring.

Awesome bit of information there Steve H!  This is the kind of information I crave..

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful ring. Stunner. You had a great hunt.