A Couple Of Nox Mods

Dan(NM)

6 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Hey Scoop

I have yet to see but one coil that came with the Equinox. To see anything beyond that must have been in your dreams. If the 6” coil had been out I can assure you I’d had one now. 

I must admit the Equinox is coil heavy and it’s because the Equinox is so lite. If and when I get the 6” coil it will be a perfect balance .

I keep saying how great it will be to have that 6” coil to go with my Equinox but the powers that be must not hear me.

Chuck

Equinox is designed for patient people :-)

• Like 1

Each to their own. I modified my Monster by putting it on a GPX Shaft so it would adjustable, put my GPX on a 3 piece shaft so it would fit in a Mine Lab hard case.  The shaft on Nox 800 suits me fine.  I do not feel that the nose is overly heavy while swinging it and I am 76 years old and have bad shoulders. But like I said, "Each to his own".:blink:

• Like 1

IdahoAl

I too don’t find any trouble with the Equinox shaft. Now I do believe with the 6” coil the Equinox would have better balance.

If some old guy like you can handle the off balance I’m not going to say I can’t.

To tell the truth Al you and I are the same age. Come May 15 th I’ll roll over to the big 77. The only thing older is dirt.

The Best To You With Your Equinox.

Chuck

• Like 1

Scoopjohnb

If you would have told me the main requirement of owning the Equinox I’d never ordered one.

I can assure you that’s one thing I’ve always been short on.

The thing is I got it and you couldn’t pry it out of my dead hands let alone my live one.

To make it short and sweet as I can make it. I really love this Equinox!

Chuck

• Like 1

OK, I'll weigh in here because I've thought and played with this a lot.  I'm definitely not commenting on the Equinox's balance yet since I don't have one (yet).

The typically best solution that the manufacturers have implemented is to match the balance of a detector with *one* coil.  The Fisher F75 gets a lot of compliments for its balance.  But the balance of the F75 isn't the same for all coils (I have three).

The Fisher Gold Bug feels great with its stock 5 inch coil (recall it was designed first and foremost as a gold detector).  With the 11x7 in^2 DD coil (detector sold as 'DP' version aimed at relic hunting) it is nose heavy, even though still only about 3 lb total weight.  Put an aftermarket 15 inch DD (as sold by Nel/Cors for example) and it's very uncomfortable, IMO.

I was a bit unhappy with coil choices for my Whites TDI/SPP because I couldn't find a neutral buoyant one for shallow underwater detecting, so I took their stock 150 mm round DD and added weight to make it neutral (or slightly sinkable) to solve that problem.  This added another issue -- using the standard S-rod grip, it still wasn't properly balanced for water hunting.  I added a T-handle grip with selectable mounting point to solve that problem.  To make the coil sinkable I did have to add weight to the toe (coil end) of the detector, as described above, but I didn't have to add couterweights elsewhere to get subsequent balance, just move the pivot point -- that is, where the detector is gripped.

My gripe is that some of these issues could be solved or at least alleviated by detector manufacturers allowing the mounting points of detector components, such as the grip, control housing, and arm cup to be movable.  (Yes, some detectors allow some of these positions to be adjusted, but in my experience just one of them.)

I'm sensitive to weight and balance more than most.  If you're built like Popeye or Jack Lalanne or the Incredible Hulk then go ahead and swing a 7 lb detector, or even an 5 lb detector and not be bothered (and yes, there are other solutions such as harnesses).  But don't expect me to do that when I have lightweight options.  Everyone has his/her points of emphasis/importance when it comes to detectors, and that's OK!

When I was looking at getting a detector last year (I seem to get a new one every year...) I ruled out several high performance detectors for weight reasons alone.  Fortunately I don't have to do that this year because the Equinox (my 2018 choice) comes in at 3 lb with its stock 11 inch round DD, and the (hopefully) soon to be released 6 inch round DD will be even lighter.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

1)  That’s because you probably lack knowledge in how detector design works. It all starts at the coil and how much the coil weighs.

2)  Honestly, if you can’t swing three pounds maybe a little more detecting is in order to build that arm strength.:smile:

3)  First time poster - are you actually interested in Equinox or just trolling?

1)  No I never designed a detector.  I have been in manufacturing, design and molding for over 40 years.  When there are  multiple comments on balance and the desire for a different shaft configuration it does seem there is a valid concern.

2)  Honestly these old injured shoulder appreciate light weight.  I swung a 3030 for over a year; had all three coils and was very happy to find a lighter machine that did not cause my shoulder to ache for days after a 3 hour hunt.

3) First time posting here.  After owning a 705 and a 3030 and I am not an ML troll.  I enjoyed both of them (except for the weight of the 3030 I would still have it) and still consider the 705 a very capable and under appreciated machine.

Yes, I am interested in learning more about all the new capable detectors coming out. And like many prospective buyers, the allure of a new toy pulls when there may really be no need for one.. Understanding strengths and weaknesses of each is  important as there is no perfect be all do all machine. 

The Deus I have had for 4 years has required no modifications. And I don't remember many complaints on weight, balance, or the desire for a different shaft.  So there are designs that seem to work right out of the box.

I didn't mean to ruffle the feathers of the Fan Club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parkgt said:

didn't mean to ruffle the feathers of the Fan Club.

Welcome to the forum parkgt.... and my apologies. If you have visited other forums you may have noted a number of people seem to have a big problem with this detector they have never used. That being the case I do keep an eye out for that sort of thing and sorry to say your first post triggered my early warning system. :smile: Again, welcome, and my apologies. Your concerns are on target and well noted.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

:smile: Again, welcome, and my apologies. Your concerns are on target and well noted.

Steve,

Thanks for the welcome.  I have enjoyed you insights and commentary for several years.

The early reports suggest that ML has a true winner.   With some tweaks over time it should only get better and push everyone else to up their game to the benefit of all of us.

HH,

Greg

• Like 1

Walker

If Steve was a she I’d go for the Love Button but being that’s not the case let’s that sleeping dog lie.

Even if he had a So True one how we going to have mayhem and turmoil?

Sometimes it’s best to leave things as is.

The Best to all you mayhem lovers

Chuck

• Haha 1