Your Thoughts: Best Pin Pointer?

I'm a Whites TRX fan, myself.   I got a new Tek-Point last week but gotten to use  it yet.  Wife has me busy.  It will most likely be the end of the month before I get to post anything about it.

HH

Mike

I vote for the Whites TRX.  Deeper than most, and sensitive only from the tip.  I find the Garrett not quite deep enough.  Also, it drives me crazy that the Carrot is sensitive practically everywhere; makes it hard for me to "pinpoint."  In this respect, looks like the Fisher F-Pulse is probably more like the Carrot.  Two different philosophies and also depends to some degree on what you are hunting.  I'm hunting coins, so want it to point to a small object in the side or bottom of the hole, not just act as a general proximity detector.

With the Whites TRX, it is important to google the information that others have posted on how to adjust and use it.

• Like 2

The F-Pulse is more stable and sensitive than the Carrot or TRX.  The F-Pulse is most sensitive at the tip, and can be detuned to zero in on targets.  The F-Pulse can be used at the beach or in areas of high mineralization where non-pulse pinpointers are unusable. The F-Pulse has a bright adjustable LED.  The Carrot and TRX are great pinpointers, the F-Pulse is better.

• Like 4

There's only 3 that I consider worth the time and money anymore. The Carrot doesn't even make my top 5. I like the Bullseye TRX, the F-Pulse or Tek-Point, and the ProFind 35.

11 hours ago, Dubious said:

Two different philosophies and also depends to some degree on what you are hunting.

I agree from the user perspective. Tip-only detection has advantages in some cases, broadside detection in others.

From a designer's perspective, tip-vs-broad is a design constraint. Loaded oscillator (Garrett) and PI use a coil that is naturally broadside. With IB (TRX, Sunray) the coil design results in tip-only. It's not something the designer has much of a choice in, other than choosing the initial technology.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 7:49 AM, Jackpine said:

Ordered the Xpointer Orange version

Any opinions or experiences to report yet Jackpine?  I like the fact this one is waterproof to 200' if you got the pro version.  I think the wader version is waterproof to 10'??

26 minutes ago, MarXthespot said:

Any opinions or experiences to report yet Jackpine?  I like the fact this one is waterproof to 200'.

Yesterday was the first run with it and all I can say is that it works and didn't bother my friends 800 that I got to swing for 4 hours.  Really helped on the small stuff and near surface targets.  Don't know why I waited 20 years to get one!

Nice pinpointer, great detector. 

Tom

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Nice pinpointer

How much depth were you getting from it?  Did it ratchet its power up and down quickly and easily? Does it indicate from both the tip and sides, or mostly from the tip like the White's TRX?

Glad you liked the 800.