My First Substantial Hunt With Equinox - Yeah, Gold But That Was Not The Impressive Part

Yay for Chase!! I was wondering when you were going to get your's and i see it was a success! Great little write up and I agree that the tide line is going to be fruitful for all of us as it's an ignored place between water hunters and other VLF detectorers. Glad you were able to get out as I'm waiting out the rain today.

I'm really interested in seeing how it does in the dirt in your neck of the woods. All I've ever heard of the Virginia dirt is that you need a backhoe because the dirt is so bad. Can't wait for report #2!

• Thanks 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Nice hunt and extremely good detailed reporting.

I had the same problem on freshwater beach.  Gotta have good eyes sometimes to actually find and see what Nox alerted on.

Nice gold find.  I like it.

Thanks all for the kind words.   It feels good to finally be able to contribute with some actual Equinox operational experiences like you folks who have already had the opportunity to do so with lots of fantastic info.  Now I feel like a full fledged member of the fan club.  Hope all those still waiting get their machines soon.

Couple of things I forgot to mention.

First - I cranked sensitivity to the max for the beach run and other than my cell phone induced noise which I ultimately corrected, Noxtradamus ran pretty quiet.

Second - I used the pinpointer frequently for deep targets, for finding the extracted deep targets in the dug sand pile, and for locating those tiny targets that slipped through the the scoop screen.  Shallow "normal sized" targets I just eyeballed with a coil wiggle and scooped.  The pinpointer accuracy and functionality was great.  However, I did notice the "low volume" effect on the several occasions.  It usually kicked into "normal" volume while positioning the coil over the target, but occasionally it would not kick in and would just stay at the diminished volume level.  There was no rhyme or reason for this behavior that I could ascertain.  It was really a non factor because I could just disengage and reengage the PP to get it to respond normally but I mention it for completeness.  Someone else noted that the PP peak volume seemed louder than target tone volume (i.e. , when directly over the target) contrary to the description in the manual.  I perceived this to be the case also but I did not find it to be so loud as to be uncomfortable.  Again, though this was a non-issue, I thought I would document my observations.  Bottom line is the pinpointer worked great for my purposes while displaying some quirky behavior that did not detract from overall functionalty.

• Like 3

Chase,

Excellent job of reporting what you have found.  It is a surprising machine.  Your study while waiting was rewarded.  Many of us have found gold and good items the first few hunts after we got it.

Let me just say stay close to the factory settings on most things.  It is easy to want to experiment and what I have found so far is that it is cause for a bigger adjustment than needed.

This reminds me of the early days of the 7000.  It took a while for everyone to share their exact settings but it sure helped.  This isn't a set it and forget it machine but maybe a set it and change the tones sort of machine.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

I just thought of an additional observation: Don't sleep on the "All Metal" button.   Beside the bottlecap trick, I now realize how brilliant this implementation is.  This is set up different than most detectors in that it is not a separate mode but merely eliminates all discriminated/notched segments.  The underlying program settings are retained for whatever program you are using at the time you punch in AM.  Really no need to ever set up separate no disc program.  No disc (on the Deus) was a great way to search for concentrations of iron targets and then switch into a disc program.  Instant AM eliminates the need to to have separate disc and no disc programs.  If looking for the remnants of an old Home Site or building site, search in AM until you start hitting the nails, then cut out AM and start retrieving relics.  Can't wait to try this out (but mother nature with her serial Nor'Easters has different plans).

• Like 2

I normally hunt in all metal, but for park hunts where I may not the first thing I do with any decent target is hit the all metal button to help verify that I am not on a ferrous target that is tossing some non-ferrous signals. Many ferrous items throw off mixed ferrous and non-ferrous signals, and blocking out the ferrous component is the easiest way to get tricked by these targets. A quick push of the all metal button offers instant verification, and another push takes you back to quiet hunting.

• Like 3