My First Substantial Hunt With Equinox - Yeah, Gold But That Was Not The Impressive Part

It reminds me of the Excal with a pinpoint mod. So one can easily switch from discrim to AM and vice versa, to check targets.

• Like 1

Great write-up and first hunt, and you found religion...err gold :wink:

Good thoughts on the AM mode, I've yet to try it, so next hunt out (hopefully later today) I'll definitely test it out, and I agree for relic sites, great way to zero in on ground zero. 

HH,
Cal

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I normally hunt in all metal, but for park hunts where I may not the first thing I do with any decent target is hit the all metal button to help verify that I am not on a ferrous target that is tossing some non-ferrous signals. Many ferrous items throw off mixed ferrous and non-ferrous signals, and blocking out the ferrous component is the easisiet way to get tricked by these targets. A quick push of the all metal button offers quick verification, and another push takes you back to quiet hunting.

Absolutely.  I observed what you are saying first hand.  There were mixed ferrous/non-ferrous targets around (beside the crown cap) and hitting the AM button ferreted them out immediately.  I loved that.  And no getting fooled on a true non-ferrous target.  No false iron positives that I ran into.

• Like 1

Good write-up Chase. You have put your learning to work right away. Thank you for your useful observations. The Equinox works.

• Like 1

I'll be opening up the screen in most modes and make use of the adjustable volume feature to make the iron tones bearable.  saves the step of switching to AM and is my preferred way to hunt.  Might leave a mode or two with ID's 1 and 2 set up for the iron tone and even lower the foil tone to -1 for some fresh water scenarios.  That all could change with experience.

• Like 3

Yeah.  I think I am going to spend most of my time tweaking tone volumes, breaks, and pitch in some of the modes and pretty much leave the performance parameters (recovery and iron bias) alone or close to their defaults.  Perhaps also play with tracking GB some too as well as threshold.  I like that threshold is a semi-global parameter.

• Like 1

I'll definitely be trying tracking GB to see if it offers an advantage. Probably not in heavy iron but will see cuz I have to know.

• Like 1

Nice finds Chase....

Also nice find on the golden Jesús....

Dave

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Mtwolf2270 said:

Congrats chase and well some excellent write up. Looking forward to your relic report as that's my main focus love the equinox so far in my home soil. 

You  bet Wolf.  I am itchin' to get out there in the red dirt with it.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Great write-up and first hunt, and you found religion...err gold :wink:

Good thoughts on the AM mode, I've yet to try it, so next hunt out (hopefully later today) I'll definitely test it out, and I agree for relic sites, great way to zero in on ground zero. 

HH,
Cal

Cal,

Another approach I thought of for telltale iron beside AM mode is to up the threshold and listen for the drop outs.  Whichever method you choose probably depends on your tolerance for noise "fatigue" with the continuous threshold or the countless iron buzzes.  Pick your poison, lol.  I think AM might be the way to go for me because you can easily turn it off and on at will, whereas you pretty much have to keep the threshold active and it takes a few button presses to enter the menus to turn it down or off.  I might try both as part of my learning curve.

• Thanks 1