Equinox Going Solar

Got my Equinox 800 to solar charge, well kind of :biggrin:. The external battery bank and solar charger will help for those extended trips to the desert. I got it on ebay, and put a mount on the detector.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 5

Amazing what hunters can think of

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jackpine said:

Cool setup.  Have you tested it on any meteorites yet?

Tom

Tom,

Yes, with discrimination on it sees ( Ordinary Chondrites) as iron -9 and wants to discriminate it out. In all metal mode, it picks it up pretty good, but if choosing the best vlf for meteorite hunting, I would have to say the Gold Bug 2 is still on top (In my opinion) ...

Dave

• Like 1

Cool setup.  My only concern is having it mounted just forward of the hand grip from a balance perspective.  I think that would make it feel like an AT Pro and put some stress on your wrist.   Short moment arm though, so may not be an issue if you have strong forearms from swinging a monster rig like an ATX, GPZ or...AT Gold (Lol).   If you haven't swung it with the mod yet, let us know how it swings after a several hour hunt.  I am feeling no ill effects from a 4-hour swing session on an unmodified shaft so pretty pleased with Equinox weight and balance as-is and am coming from a Deus saying that.

2 hours ago, DolanDave said:

but if choosing the best vlf for meteorite hunting, I would have to say the Gold Bug 2 is still on top (In my opinion)

Thanks for the input DolanDave.  In your opinion, what makes the Gold Bug 2 superior for meteorite hunting?  I'm brand new to metal detectors, and would have thought detecting the iron/nickel in most meteorites would be easy for almost any detector.  Admittedly, I have lots to learn.  Do any detectors effectively discriminate or unmask them from "junk iron"?

MArx,

Steve is right...  You can setup the detector to open up the discrimination on certain meteorites. Take an L meteorite for example, it likes to hit on -9 on the detector, if you are in a strewn field open that up, and discriminate the others. I am new on the NOX, so Im sure there is other tricks. 

To me personally,  the GB2 seemed to go deeper on meteorites than the NOX, but there needs to be more time for testing, just to new. But the NOX loves small gold, I need to take it to a worn out patch, where its been hit by almost every detector possible, and see how it responds.

Chase- I detected the other day with it on there for about 2 hours, and didnt seem to effect me much, but this is the same arm that swings the boat anchor GPZ 7000 all day, so the NOX feels like a feather. I wouldnt advise having it on there unless your swinging your detector long past its battery life.

Dave

• Like 1