The Return Of Dr. Tones!

I hate it when people criticize me so hopefully Brandon will forgive me a couple comments. 1. He mentions Equinox is not nose heavy - well, it is a little. And 2. he mentions that you can just plug your favorite headphones into the WM08 wireless module. Unfortunately the WM08 is designed to accept the waterproof connection from the underwater headphones you currently cannot get. That means you need the Minelab 1/8” to 1/4” adapter you currently cannot get to connect your existing 1/4” headphones to the WM08. Which means you are on your own finding an adapter that works properly. Other than that, yeah, you can just plug those 1/4” headphones right into the WM08! :smile:

The nose heavy thing is inconsequential in my opinion and no worse than dozens of other detectors so I am being picky there. The WM08 with existing 1/4” headphones issue however really is something people need to know about. If I got an Equinox just thinking I was going to be able to plug my Sun-Ray headphones right into the WM08 I might just get a little annoyed.

Other than that a nice rundown of some of the things that make Equinox an easy detector to like.

• Like 6

That was a really great Top 9 things.. still wondering what number 7 was?

• Haha 1

Yes the Equinox is slightly nose heavy, but after a few outings I can't say I notice anymore.

Thanks for the info on this Steve.  I had no clue the WM08 wouldn't work with 1/4" headphones.  Thanks so much for the clarification.  It is really surprising  Minelab didn't include the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter cable with the WM08.

I just ordered the Equinox 600 and am 100% glad I saved the extra money.  Ready for that big coil now.   

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 12:18 AM, Dubious said:

I found the Nox a bit nose heavy at first, but compensated by shortening the shaft another notch. Don't notice it now.

That's exactly what I did, and it seems good to go now.  

• Like 2

Good rundown by Brandon...especially the multi use and multi frequency aspects.  Agree with Steve's quibbles and have a few other very minor ones. Brandon says he can't imagine why anybody would [still] want to plug directly into the detector with the available wireless options.  Well, ahem, I can think of one reason, submerged control head hunting and is one of the reasons why there is continued frustration amongst Equinox water hunters that the WP accessory phones are not yet available (BT and proprietary RF wireless H/P tech doesn't work under water).  The battery discussion is a tad disingenuous: (1) you only have to charge two batteries (with the Deus) coil and remote control unit if you plug phones into the Deus control head which is the same as the Equinox (control head and phones), so why even go there?  (2) Brandon talks about the disadvantage of the gaskets associated with the CTX removable battery vs. the Equinox which is charged in place but apparently has not received the ML memo regarding minding the gaskets associated with the Equinox battery should the end user choose to service the battery themselves.  In other words, you are relying on gasketed battery seals for either detector.  Finally, besides the missing in action "reason 7" that was pointed out earlier, Brandon's Equinox seems to have a bit of a smoking problem and he really should have that looked into by the ML service center.  Lol.  That is all.