Golden Nuggets Of A Different Kind

49 minutes ago, Northeast said:

I assume $5 value at the time they were created. 

What do they weigh?  What purity of gold are they?

Up until 1970's the price of gold was locked to the dollar, so, yes, $5 gold coin had $5 of gold in it when minted.  Prior to 1934 the fixed price was $20.67 per tr.oz and starting then until 1975 it was $35.00.  According to my Red Book, beginning in 1839 and going all the way until early 1930's when gold was no longer minted into US coins, the $5 piece had a mass of 8.359 g and a composition of 90-10 gold-copper by weight.

• Thanks 1

Huge congrats to the finder.... What a fantastic find.......

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

So a little over $400 Australian of gold per coin. Very nice!

That's the melt value (ignoring processing costs).  Similar to nuggets, the collector value even for a common date US gold coin is higher, and of course if it's a rare date+mintmark then much higher.  Any way you slice it, a once in a lifetime find.

• Like 2

I have only found that much in nuggets in one day a few times. So so nice. Those nuggets bring a premium for sure. They are so much more rare than their native brothers.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:49 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:
GOLD COIN ALERT.
A HAND FULL of $5 US Gold Coins found today. Not only has he been a friend of our family for many years, my dad got him involved into metal detecting 20+ years ago and today was the PAY DAY. 1st his daughter digs a 1905-S $5, but then they dig 8 more. Congratulations to you both.
Gold nuggets come in many ways and they will remember this day forever.
gold-coins-1.jpeg
gold-coins-2.jpeg

DGGoldA3.JPG

Them would be fine by me. Just a cool if not cooler than a nugget in my book. Awesome find keep it up!

• Like 1

WOW.. incredible find!  Congrats!!!