Stealth 720i Sand Scoop Questions

Well, I'm finally upgrading from my piddly short handled hand scoop to something much better. I'm getting ready to purchase a Stealth 720i, but there is a scoop option I need help with. In the past, the holes have been 1/2", but now you can have the option of 1/4" holes in the bottom and the back. It seems like with that much 1/4" coverage wet sand would have a tendency to sit there and not want to sift out or at least take longer. (I'm sure the small holes are there for good reason earring charms etc.) Does anyone have experience with 1/4" holes in this or other scoops. Is 1/4" a good thing or  go with their standard 1/2" holes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'll take a look at mine to see what I got...then get back. Probably not a problem in the dry... Most will just dump the scoop on the ground and give it a kick if its wet or damp no matter what size holes..

strick  

If you in wet sand then you have to be near water too. One dip in the water that wet sand will melt away like sugar.

I myself like the 1/4 inch holes. I feel more comfortable that I won’t lose anything.

Chuck

Typical trade. The holes have to be smaller than the smallest object you want to retain, but too small impedes quick sifting. I lean towards heavy mesh over drilled holes for smaller hole sizes as the greater number of openings helps offset the smaller hole size. And then durability raises its ugly head. For sand lighter duty sieves are ok but in the rocky stuff it has to be extra stout. No real answer really, just the compromise that works best for you.

My favorite scoop is heavy stainless steel with 3/8” square holes. Old model sold by Keene years ago, very hard to find.

03828D55-327B-4A82-BBCA-39A4C8A5B1E4.jpeg

The scoops I use all have 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes. The Xtreme scoop has a finer filter area at the bottom to catch tiny items like stud earrings that may slip through the larger holes on my other scoops. If the scoop you're looking at has a similar design it should work great.

Scoop4.JPG

Scoop5.JPG

Scoops1.JPG

• Like 2

I like to be able to jump on them got 3 or 4 need to take some pics

RR

Thanks for all of the advice. I actually ended up ordering the Stealth 920iX from Chuck, with an Anderson one piece carbon fiber handle from Pete through John at Xtreme Scoops. (A super nice and helpful guy by the way). It was a bit of a back and forth, but I went with the 1/2" holes over the smaller slots along the back and bottom. I guess faster sifting and I could use it in dry sand if I wander out of the water. I dunno... It was kind of a toss up. I guess if something gets through the 1/2" hole I'll chase it around, but hopefully that won't be often. 

The extremes are what I have as well...big scoops but you can have smaller ones custom made. Thanks for posting the pic ! 

strick 

Sounds like you have one heck of a scoop on the way to your house Steven.  You're right, they are really great people to work with and they make top quality products. Shipping is fast too!

If tiny items do become troublesome, you can always zip-tie a small piece of hardware cloth to the bottom of the scoop.  

• Like 2